Where to buy Malaria Tablets?

Comments

• mr_rush
    mr_rush Posts: 597 Forumite
    but if you don't have an immunity
    a ridiculous and dangerous thing to think - no one has immunity from malaria
  • The price will very much depend on WHICH malaria tablets you are taking. There are four main types: lariam, malarone, doxycycline (brand names include vibramycin) and the proguanil/choloroquine combination (brand names include avloclor and paludrine).

The p/c combination is usually very cheap BUT malaria is resistant to it in a lot of countries so your doctor may have advised you to take one of the others, which are all more expensive but much more effective in lots of countries. Do not ignore his advice on this just because p/c is cheaper!

Bettyboop is right, the NHS won't pay as we don't need malaria tablets to live in the UK.

Depending on where you're going you MAY be able to buy the tablets more cheaply when you get to your destination, but again depends on which ones you are meant to take. I know you can buy doxycycline quite cheaply over the counter in Thailand (in Boots!) but not malarone or lariam as they are still prescription-only even in Asia. However some types of malaria tablets need to be started well before you go on your holiday, and also there's a chance you might not be able to get them or might be sold fake tablets (I wouldn't buy them off the internet here for the same reason).

Really the only way to do this, for the sake of your health, is to take this as a necessary cost of your holiday (like flights and hotels) and buy them here. Sorry! If it helps I paid approx £1/tablet for malarone at my local (north London) pharmacy.
  • I have heard that tesco is cheap to buy malarone but do not know how! I have looked on the internet and tesco doesn't appear to have a pharmacy! Any help would be greatly appreiciated as am going to mombassa in 7 weeks and there are 8 of us that have been recommended to take malarone. Have been quoted £45 each for a 24tablet course from a local pharmacy, don't know if i can get them cheaper or if this is a good price? Please help!!
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lunatic- large tesco extras have a pharmacy- maybe ask there?
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    these are the prices Ive found having hunted them out - FOR MALARONE

2.10 per tablet - travelpharm .com
    2.13 per tablet - chemist direct.co.uk
    20.00 per box of 12- equalling 1.66 per tablet, from interhealth.org.uk ( not clear if you have to be a member to get them at this price?) ( only 3 boxes per person at this rate)
    stratford-pharmacy.co.uk - 1.99 per tablet
    tesco ( i rang my local one, in london e11) definately NOT the cheapest, at 50.42 for my course ( 22 tabs) 2.91 per tablet, although she said the mor3e you buy the cheaper it is....
    asda instore - rang them they quoted me 50.42 - 2.91 per tablet
    local boots quoted me- 66 for 24. 2.75 per tablet
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    This Ive come to know...
  • TeaBoy_2
    TeaBoy_2 Posts: 408 Forumite
    i've been prescribed 40x Avloclor and 200x Paludrine for first part of my trip. anyone know how much ii'm likely to be charged for these when i go to the pharmacy? and does it vary depending on where i go?

also i'm on JSA. will that get me any money off?
    i know my friend used his HC2 form to blag his for free but think he got lucky.
    What's it going to be, eh?
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    TeaBoy wrote: »
    i've been prescribed 40x Avloclor and 200x Paludrine for first part of my trip. anyone know how much ii'm likely to be charged for these when i go to the pharmacy? and does it vary depending on where i go?

also i'm on JSA. will that get me any money off?
    i know my friend used his HC2 form to blag his for free but think he got lucky.
    they should be quite cheap as they are very standard drugs to take.

i really doubt that you can get a discount becuse of JSA - the whole reason who can't get things like this on the NHS is because going away to exotic places that require malaria tablets is a luxury and not a necessity. the logic is that if you can afford the trip, you can afford the medication too - which i think is entirely fair!
    :happyhear
  • taketwo
    taketwo Posts: 98 Forumite
    I searched for the cheapest place for Malarone a couple of months ago, and found the cheapest place was boots online
  • lynzpower
    Combo Breaker First Post
    taketwo wrote: »
    I searched for the cheapest place for Malarone a couple of months ago, and found the cheapest place was boots online

TAKETWO - iVE JUST SEARCHED ON boots online, and they dont seem to stock it :confused:
    This Ive come to know...
  • The paludrine/avloclor travel pack is about £15 ish. The price will vary slightly depending on the pharmacy. It depends how long you are going away for as to how many boxes you will need.

You won't get any money off just because you're on JSA. As someone else said if you can afford a holiday (luxury) then you can afford the anti-malaria tablets.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure