Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Flybe ONLY

Comments

• Hello everyone.

My recently flight with Flybe was cancelled and I was put on a later flight to a different airport (with a free coach taking us to the original destination). This resulted in a delay of approximately 6 hours.

I first contacted Flybe to ask why the flight was cancelled and asked if it was their fault. They replied to tell me there was a fault with the rear door but ignored my question as to whether they were responsible for this.

I contacted them again to ask if this was a fault on their part (poor maintenance/lack of available staff to fix fault) or not. They have now responded ignoring this question but offering a £100 credit note with 9 months validity, however, they have not explicitly claimed responsibility for the delay.

I'm unlikely to use Flybe in the near future so a credit note is pretty useless to me, but it suggests to me they are accepting blame for the delay. Would I have a case to pursue this further and claim my £200+ compensation and if so, should I just continue emailing/writing to flybe or take this further with the CAA?

I've read through this thread and noticed other people being offered £100 credit notes but I haven't seen anyone who's declined this and got the cash they wanted so if anyone has any advice that would be great.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to commence a claim under EU 261/2004 regs. In the FAQ's there are templates for initiating this claim, one from Which! and one from the EU.
  • Thank you, just before I fill in one of the templates can I just ask who should make the claim?

I was the passenger on the flight but I did not pay for the ticket. Can I claim the compensation for myself, can I claim it on behalf of who bought the ticket or does he have to claim himself?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Flylo996 wrote: »
    Thank you, just before I fill in one of the templates can I just ask who should make the claim?

I was the passenger on the flight but I did not pay for the ticket. Can I claim the compensation for myself, can I claim it on behalf of who bought the ticket or does he have to claim himself?

Passenger.
  • Just to update I emailed flybe using the CAA template. They emailed me back within two days accepting that they owe me 250 euros. Just waiting for the money to clear in my account.

Not sure if this is anything to do with the recent change in management last week but shows there's hope out there for those that may be struggling to get what they deserve.

Thanks to those who responded to my query initially.
  • kirko
    kirko Posts: 32 Forumite
    I sent the CAA form to flybe and have today received the following, In view of the reason for the delay, compensation is due under EC Regulations 261/2004. This consists of 250€ (£200) monetary compensation per passenger or a credit note to the value of €350 (£300) per passenger for redemption against future Flybe flights

I have even challenged the £200 and said id like the correct exchange rate, will await the reply to that!
  • kirko
    kirko Posts: 32 Forumite
    Had a further reply from flybe, they have agreed to pay £209.34, result!
  • First time I have posted on here but desperate for a second opinion.

I contacted Flybe initially about 6 months ago regarding a cancelled flight in Dec 2007 for my husband and I and baby from Leeds to Southampton. The flight was cancelled and we were put on another about 5 hours later. All very stressful as my husband was due chemo at S'ton hospital that morning and subsequently didn't get his chemo.

Flybe initial response was that I needed to provide boarding cards. I explained that I didn't have these five years later but was sure if they checked their records it would all be there in my maiden name. Their reply was pay £10 and contact the data protection officer at Flybe for further details. I responded that I wasn't too happy as this indicated this had the info but were making me pay for it. I went on to say that JBOC (joint border operations centre) would also have the info which they could retrieve and I couldn't. Hearing nothing else I then sent the intent to proceed to court letter, this they repsonded to saying they still couldn't do anything without my boarding pass or email confirmation.

I have read the judgement handed down again and there is nothing in there to say that I have to provide this info. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

I am aware of the time limits and wonder if they are using delaying tactics as there is only about 4 weeks left.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rnt wrote: »
    I have read the judgement handed down again and there is nothing in there to say that I have to provide this info. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

I am aware of the time limits and wonder if they are using delaying tactics as there is only about 4 weeks left.

You don't need any proof you were on the flight before taking court action so, if you haven't already sent it, get your NBA off to them.

If I read you correctly, you are baulking at paying £10 for the proof. I understand your frustration but is it worth giving yourself grief over?

There are many postings from people who have no proof - you can have a search for those when you have got your claim submitted.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Time is indeed running out, you need to issue a NBA and start an Action if no payment is made.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure