Does my boyfriend staying over affect my entitlement to Tax Credits?

I've been single mum for 13 years and live with my 15 year old child.

I've been dating my boyfriend for he last 6 months and recently, he's spent the occasional night in my home. Not often but sometimes it might be as often as a couple of nights in one week.

Do I need to inform the Tax Credits office? And what about the CSA?

I don't want to get into trouble.

Comments

• No as he's not with you the majority of the time. If he was contributing to the household he would be classed as living there.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It doesnt have to be the majority of the time, there is nothing set in stone when it comes to b/f staying over, lots of things
    come to the fore.

Are you linked financially, are there any clothes stored at your house, any toiletries in the bathroom and on and on and on.

Its not cut and dried, if your concerned and not sure, ring the DWP and ask
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Beverley
    Beverley Posts: 138
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A couple of nights a week is not occasional or not often. You need to inform HMRC and they will make a determination as to your relationship status. Probably nothing to worry about, but they are the only people that can make such a decision.

In the past three months, he has stayed over for one night on three separate occasions, and two nights over Christmas. I really cannot see how that could be construed as anything but occasional.
    Neither of us has any intention of living together.

I will however, call HMRC to check it out.
  • drwho2011
    drwho2011 Posts: 346 Forumite
    Beverley wrote: »
    Neither of us has any intention of living together.

Ever......?
  • Sixer
    Sixer Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    If your boyfriend only stays over one or two nights a week and if your finances aren't entwined (eg he pays no bills at your house) and if he isn't in any way registered at your address (electoral roll, tenancy agreement, car insurance, etc) then there is no way whatsoever DWP will decide you are living together as man and wife.

Don't worry about it at present, OP. But keep an eye on the situation. If he starts staying over a lot, if you start doing food shopping together, if he starts contributing towards your bills, then you will need to inform DWP.
  • Beverley
    Beverley Posts: 138
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    drwho2011 wrote: »
    Ever......?

Never - ever! We've each had bad break ups and agree that we want things to stay as they are - independent of each other.
  • TC wouldn't have a problem with what you say above, no need to contact them. The ones that do seem to get their knickers in a twist more so are DWP.
  • I was told that for IS your partner cannot stay over any night..
    The 3 day rule according to her was HB rules but not there rules..

I dont let my bf ever stay over due to this but I do stay over at his sometimes for the odd night but not consecutive nights.

I wish the rules was easily available as I had a feeling the fraud officer was a jobsworth:mad:
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to be clear (in the light of some of the replies) tax credits are not administered by DWP and have no connection to Income Support.

They are related to tax and administered by HMRC.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    As far as Income Support is concerned (obviously so not in this case as Tax Credits) I understood the rule was 3 nights in any period. So one in January, one in July and one in December technically would do it (bit extreme, I know). This was told to me by someone who worked in the fraud department whose job was investigating cohabiting claimants, but was a few years ago. I doubt that the rules have changed, but there was always this myth about 3 consecutive days which was never correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure