Cost of Euthanasia

Comments

• Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It cost £278.00 for my little old boys individual cremation back in December. That's without the vets fees but think that came to about £40.00. Too upset at time to pay much notice. Hope your old girl pulls through.
  • Thank you for all the replies she seems to be doing well (she's a border collie btw) a bit wobbly but on the mend.
  • My God, what do you get for that much money. I have just paid £68 for my old cat to be PTS. i thought that was a lot.
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    So very sorry to read this, hoping for the best.

It varies from area to area. I had to have our 17 year old dog pts a few days ago and it cost £72.47 in total including cremation.
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    My God, what do you get for that much money. I have just paid £68 for my old cat to be PTS. i thought that was a lot.

In my case, full call out fees from the vet ( with assistant ) euthanasia, collection/individual cremation/returning of pets ashes in large casket.

The home call out is for the benefit of the animal so I don't have to take a very sick or old dog to the vet and also so that the remaining dog/s at home can see that their companion has passed and are not looking for them and wondering what had happened.
    The individual cremation is purely for our benefit knowing that the ashes we get back (and in my case have a place other side of the mantelpiece) are from our animals solely.
    Again though, in my case the charges are higher than a lot due to the size of the animal.

Op, I'm very glad to hear your pooch is pulling through, how wonderful.
    Here's to a continued improvement!
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Had a cat PTS about 4 years ago now and the total came to about 300-350

Called a vet to come home - did not want to stress an unwell cat with dragging him out of his home in a basket, unwell to be PTS in an unfamiliar place.

Vet came home, cat was PTS in his home with us with him.

Vet took the cat, cat was cremated (individual cremation) and we picked up his ashes in a little wooden cat shaped box - he is on a shelf in my daughter bedroom, with plants on the sides of his casket.

OP- glad your dog is better xxx
  • Tosca3
    Tosca3 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post
    I can't remember at the moment how much I paid but in 2012 I had my cat, then my husband, then my other cat cremated within six weeks of each other.

The caskets and the lovely wrapping they came in were much nicer for my cats than my husband ! :o
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Gosh! Some of you are paying extortionate fees!

My Mum had two dogs PTS recently, a King Charles Spaniel and a Rotty. Both were PTS at home by a visiting vet and her assistant, it was done gently and with such compassion, truly couldn't have asked for better.

Both dogs were taken away by the vets after a reasonable period of grieving and both were given individual cremations and returned to us in beautiful oak caskets with brass name plates on.

The Rotty cost £220, the spaniel cost £180. For everything.

Good Luck OP with your decision x
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I live in London.. prices are what they are here
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm in Staffs.
    Both my boys came home in little oak caskets with brass engraved name plaques.
    It was 18 months between losing them and the price for the individual cremation had gone up by £5.

I live reasonably close to a Pet Cemetery though and they deal with burials on site as well as the cremations so I'm guessing this keeps the costs down a little.

Good to see she's on the mend Vicky :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport