PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning glass ceramic hob

My glass ceramic hob has some funny marks around the edge of the rings, probably caused by spills and spatters. I've tried tipping vinegar and bicarb onto the marks and it's got rid of some of them, but not all. Any suggestions about what might get rid of the more stubborn marks?

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I expect this is not in keeping with the 'old style' style of things, but I always use 'Hob Brite' on mine.

My time is too precious to me to waste it on cleaning any more than I have too, lol, so it's worth the cost of the bottle just to deal with the cooker cleaning quickly and easily. :)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Try heating the vinegar before you use it as it makes all the difference.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    I ran out of Hob Brite a couple of weeks ago, and after seeing Ainsley use it on the advert, have been using Fairy Power spray on it - it comes up a treat.

I'm a sucker for ads on TV and buy every 'miracle' product going. Thats why I've started getting really excited about this whole Vinegar thing, and have been reading this board avidly.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • The_Biff
    The_Biff Posts: 406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Following advice re burned on soot on my woodburner glass window, I've been using Astonish, which shifts the soot in a jiffy.
    Nice to save.
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Totally agree with using Astonish. Its in the pound shop and hob comes up a treat.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was told that Astonish is mildly abrasive and will cause millions of tiny scratches that you can't really see.

Over time though, the hob will take on an 'opaque' look because of this.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Try putting some bio powder on and leaving over night. It removes most grease marks.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Thanks for all the hints. The warmed vinegar has got rid of most of the marks; I'll try the Astonish next weekend!
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have some hob brite stuff and someone recommended Bar Keepers Friend. Is there anything natural (like vinegar) that I could use that wouldn't scratch the surface. Any cleaner recipes appreciated.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Of course there is :)

There are all sorts of cleaning recipes listed in our "Zillions" thread which can be found via our "Collections" sticky or by following the clue in my signature below.

Right now I'm happy to recommend a mix of three tbsp each vinegar and lemon with a few drops of an essential oil of your choice (to help the er, aroma :D) put into an empty spray thingy and topped up with water. Leave it to soak for a while, and don't forget to rinse when done. Remember the old credit card tip for a non scratch scraper for the stubborn bits :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport