Who Does/Does Not Accept Amex?

Options

Comments

• pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sjc wrote:
    I too got fed up with shops not accepting Amex or when they did the machine with Chip & Pin rejecting it. So my Nectar Amex Card got paid off and binned. Shame really.

Its not exactly the shop's fault. Amex charges higher merchant fees than Visa or MasterCard, so its costs shops quite a bit to take Amex payments.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • beckyuk
    Options
    Do not use amercian express cards with paypal. I did and ended up losing 145.00 pounds. STAY AWAY!
  • Firehorse
    Firehorse Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ACCEPT: Focus (DIY) Store
    New Mantra: I must not visit MSE until after I've completed all my chores!!!!!
  • nik1053
    Options
    neil40 wrote:
    Dominos pizza accept Amex although they do not advertise the fact at the shop!

I tried my local domino's in Leicester and they don't
  • gillbee
    gillbee Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called Greenbee travel (John Lewis Partenrship) who told me they accept credit cards including amex and do not add any charge to the booking for paying by CC.

Note : I'm still awaiting my new amex card to test this out - but the 3% cashback would save me £40+ on my booking
  • jimmyboy3009
    Options
    I recently bought a Mattress on my Amex the price was £399.99 yet the charge has appeared on my statement as £421.88. the vendor has confirmed that they charged me £399.99 not £421.88 , do Amex charge circa 5% for something ??
  • packetlos
    Options
    I recently bought a Mattress on my Amex the price was £399.99 yet the charge has appeared on my statement as £421.88. the vendor has confirmed that they charged me £399.99 not £421.88 , do Amex charge circa 5% for something ??

Wouldn't have thought so, call amex customer services and find out.
  • wurlitzerwilly
    Options
    A few years ago, I used to work for Amex in Brighton, albeit in the Travellers Cheque division. Later, part of my remit was to write some software for other depts. inc. "Card".

At that time they were having a mini-blitz, by checking on merchants who displayed the Amex sign on their premises, but actively discouraged acceptance of the "Card".

Since then, I have been actively "discouraged" when visiting Las Palmas and attempting to buy a camera. Sure the Amex sign is on the window, and if you ask, they'll tell you that they accept the "Card", but they will also try to get you to use any other card, giving stories like "it takes too long to make the 'phone call", or "we don't like to have to wait for our money".

So you see, reality is sometimes a lot different than declared intent! ;)

I can't blame the merchants for their attitude. Amex certainly had a policy of hanging onto money for as long as possible. Keeping merchants waiting for their payment for goods, and they were known to actively encourage customers not to cash in their unused Travellers Cheques.
  • wurlitzerwilly
    Options
    And your point is?
  • sarymclary
    sarymclary Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A big fat NO from Land Of Leather. Salesman stated their fees were too high per transaction. Nonetheless, they were happy to accept a cheque, which I notice some stores are starting to stop.
    One day the clocks will stop, and time won't mean a thing

Be nice to your children, they'll choose your care home
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family