Peugeot 206 - Engine cut out problem

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 March 2010 at 9:59PM
    used this guy to test an ecu

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

cost me £35 as he proved no fault (turned out to be 2nd lambda sensor in 8 months) but they will rebuild and reload original data so no new keys required
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Lyger
    Lyger Posts: 116 Forumite
    Just had a quick read through that forum. Really, a scary number of people have had this issue. It's unbelievable the number of things that could be causing it. Whoever programmed the silly fail safe of 'kill engine' needs a slap around the head.

I think I'll go ahead and get it checked out my the way overpriced dealership on Friday anyway, and then see what they say. If they want to charge me an arm and leg for fixing items that only *may* solve the issue, I may just go ahead and part exchange it. A shame, because I've only had the car just over a year, and before this issue flared up, I was really happy with it.
    This is not an automated signature - I type this after every post.
  • Lyger
    Lyger Posts: 116 Forumite
    Just a quick update - The dealership took my car today to check it out, and couldn't find anything too major. They've replaced my spark plugs (which were corroded) and cleaned up the wires on the electrics (which apparently had a build up of silicon). With the checks they did as well, it's left me £212 out of pocket - but I have been given the assurance that if the engine cuts out on me again, further checks ups and repairs will be carried out free of charge. They did tell me that because of the intermittence of the problem, it only *may* be fixed. Fingers crossed that it won't happen again, and if it does, Peugeot live up to their promise to fix it for free! Cos sheesh, £212 is expensive for a set of spark plugs. :(
    This is not an automated signature - I type this after every post.
  • zita
    zita Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hi everyone...

I bought my 206 Y reg about 6 months ago...had full service, brand new MOT and it was fine until it started having this problem...but it seems to be temperamental...some days its fine some not.

These are the symptoms:

> I will be driving along fine and suddenly the accelarator just loses power, the revs go down to zero and then engine cuts out. I turn the key and the engine starts up and the accelarator is back to normal as if nothing as happened.

> Some times randomly the car wont start...it takes about 6 attempts but then it starts and off i go absolutely fine.

> Some times again randomly im driving along and the engine just cuts out and the power steering goes...

> there are no lights coming on on the dash apart from when the engine cuts out and they all lit up

I took the car to the garage and had the fuel pump replaced, the coil changed but 3 days later we are back to the same problem. The mechanic seems to not get to the root of the problem and i just seem to be spending money replacing parts but the problem stays.

Please can anyone advise, as im getting scared of driving the dam thing as its not safe specially when it decides to cut out in the middle of a roundabout. Please feel free to share any ideas...thank you
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    zita wrote: »
    Hi everyone...

Please can anyone advise, as im getting scared of driving the dam thing as its not safe specially when it decides to cut out in the middle of a roundabout. Please feel free to share any ideas...thank you

Best advise is to start a new thread to be honest.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • crispy_chris
    crispy_chris Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had this, changed what you mentioned about as well as a couple of sensors (MAP/MAF), none of it made a difference so after about 6 months of problems I got rid.

The times that my engine died was when I put my foot on the clutch, is it the same for you? Mine never died while in gear.
  • zita
    zita Posts: 33 Forumite
    I had this, changed what you mentioned about as well as a couple of sensors (MAP/MAF), none of it made a difference so after about 6 months of problems I got rid.

The times that my engine died was when I put my foot on the clutch, is it the same for you? Mine never died while in gear.

No mine dies at any time whenever it feel like it...:eek:.
  • Had this same problem with my 206, everything electrical switched off, I found that if you quickly turned the ignition key to the off position and then on again it would re-engage all electrics and engine. You do not need to dip the clutch. It is frightening the first time it happens. Luckily mine was still in its warranty, they fitted a coil pack and a CPU download and all is well now.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    zita wrote: »
    Hi everyone...

I bought my 206 Y reg about 6 months ago...had full service, brand new MOT and it was fine until it started having this problem...but it seems to be temperamental...some days its fine some not.

These are the symptoms:

> I will be driving along fine and suddenly the accelarator just loses power, the revs go down to zero and then engine cuts out. I turn the key and the engine starts up and the accelarator is back to normal as if nothing as happened.

> Some times randomly the car wont start...it takes about 6 attempts but then it starts and off i go absolutely fine.

> Some times again randomly im driving along and the engine just cuts out and the power steering goes...

> there are no lights coming on on the dash apart from when the engine cuts out and they all lit up

I took the car to the garage and had the fuel pump replaced, the coil changed but 3 days later we are back to the same problem. The mechanic seems to not get to the root of the problem and i just seem to be spending money replacing parts but the problem stays.

I'm pretty damn sure this is caused by a faulty Manifold Air Pressure senor (MAP), Its an easy DIY to replace.
  • I had this, changed what you mentioned about as well as a couple of sensors (MAP/MAF), none of it made a difference so after about 6 months of problems I got rid.

This is exactly what happens to me. I just made an account to ask you..
    Did you ever find the solution?

- Thanks

Edit: Or anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills