lets get back to basics... starting with the butcher

Comments

• I often want to buy more from the butchers but don't like to ask too many questions as someone else said. I want the cheap stuff, so i'd be looking for mutton, lamb hearts, game ect do butchers even sell this type of cheap meat? I read before that most of our cheap cuts go out of the country.
    I find i can only get the hearts in morrisons and t's only seem to have a stuffed more expensive version.

Can anyone recommend more cheap cuts to ask for in the butchers?

I also find from the ones i have been in they don't advertise prices well so you don't know what your paying and there is not much chance to change your mind. I'm on a tight budget so like to browse for the cheap stuff but when you go in you get asked straight away what you want eeek!
    5 burgers cost £4 the other day which is ok for a treat but couldn't do that often.

I normally ask for things in moneys worth, rather than weight.

It would be best to ask the butcher what is the best buy this week, You might not see the hearts, livers etc on view, but I should imagine they have got them out the back, especially if the butcher makes his own faggots...

I normally buy mince or beef pieces, as I know with these I can makes meals where I can bulk out with veg etc.. ( casserole beef, beef and any veg curry, cottage pie, spag bol, mince curry etc)
    Work to live= not live to work
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with Cooltrikerchick (this is getting repetitive!) unless you know that you do actually need a pound of mince, say to the butcher 'I want to spend about £5 on an XYZ.'

I've done that all my adult life and never once had a negative reaction. I'm sure it's the way thrifty people have always shopped.
  • Due to bariatric surgery, I need to ingest 120gm protein daily. I find that pig kidneys are very high in protein and cheap at Morrisons.
    I halve them and cut out much of the white stuff, then cook them for 3-4 mins on a health grill. Just long enough until they no longer ooze blood or look red when sliced.;)
    I usually have a pack of two for breakfast every day and still like the taste!
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Thanks CTC.
    I'd dismissed one of the local in town butchers as somewhere that just repacks bags into trays.
    Saw some seasalt in the window at a good price, went in to buy it. Inside I saw a shin of beef on the slab and asked for some haugh (old local name) ended up with a long discussion with a couple of butchers. Tray packs sell, therefore they offer them. Most of their customers want better quality/quantity than the supermarket offers, they don't want to have to ask anything.
    I generally reckon I have a slight advantage in judging the quality of butchers shops, my Dad was a Master Butcher and we never passed a butchers shop without him critiquing the display, range and prices, I got this one wrong.
    I'm now a regular customer.
  • This is my local butchers: http://www.wil-lloyd.co.uk/index.htm
    Although there is actually more info whats on offer on the review sites or the numerous newspaper articles than there is on their own site such as: http://uktv.co.uk/food/outlet/aid/618615
    The first paragraph of this article gives an indication of the quality of the service to expect.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/3302758/A-meaty-approach-to-life.html

You can buy by weight or by stating how much you want to spend. If you just want a couple of rashers of bacon for breakfast or a single chop for dinner then that is all you buy with no pressure to buy anything else equally if you want a whole lamb then you will get it processed however you want & packed ready to be frozen.
    The Welsh Dragon burgers do not in fact contain any dragon meat but other than that everything is as described & fully traceable.
    Advice is given on which cuts of meat are best suited to which cooking methods it's not unusual to hear the phrase 'you would be better off buying this it's much cheaper' when someone says I am cooking whatever it is & they have picked a cut they are familiar with the name of rather than something best suited for the purpose.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another good thing about using a butcher, is if you're not sure how much of something you need, you can say " I need to feed 4 people" and the butcher will advise how much you need.

Re game, I've not seen it in many places around here, but I have seen it at Swansea market and it seemed to be sold by the fishmongers rather than the butchers.

There's a stall in Cardiff market that sells *everything* from pigs heads to chicken claws! I've never bought anything from them, but it's really interesting having a browse!
  • Gigervamp wrote: »
    Another good thing about using a butcher, is if you're not sure how much of something you need, you can say " I need to feed 4 people" and the butcher will advise how much you need.

Re game, I've not seen it in many places around here, but I have seen it at Swansea market and it seemed to be sold by the fishmongers rather than the butchers.

There's a stall in Cardiff market that sells *everything* from pigs heads to chicken claws! I've never bought anything from them, but it's really interesting having a browse!

:eek::eek::eek:, but on saying that Cardiff has a huge multi-culteral community...

I can understand a pigs head, but chicken claws??????

Wouldn't mind finding somewhere that sells rabbit..

I must admit, my butcher was selling locally shot rabbits, quite a few years ago, I bought one, BUT in the end didn't do anything with it...

Did you notice any rabbit in swansea market???
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, we did actually buy a rabbit from one of the fishmongers in Swansea market! Hubby wasn't keen on it though and I didn't like cutting it up as it looked too much like a skinned cat! :rotfl:
  • Gigervamp wrote: »
    Yes, we did actually buy a rabbit from one of the fishmongers in Swansea market! Hubby wasn't keen on it though and I didn't like cutting it up as it looked too much like a skinned cat! :rotfl:

thats the reason why I didnt do anything with it too:o:rotfl:
  • Chicken claws for the chinese community
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills