ASDA or TESCO Clubcard points?

Not sure if anyone can calculate this but how much would you need to save on a family shop at Asda to equate to the value you get from TESCO clubcard points. (Say we spend £120 a week on shopping) My wife is reluctant to change from TEsco to Asda as we get the points and use them for days out with the kids.
Anyone worked this out?

Comments

• Storck
    Storck Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Probably depends on the offers on at any moment and also what you buy.
    If you find you are drinking too much give this number a call. 0845 769 7555
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    If you have the time: check your shopping list item by item on mysupermarket.com and then go to both and buy items at the cheapest place. This way you can buy stuff that costs the same at Tesco and any offers they have, and keep getting clubcard points on say 70% of your shop, and go to Asda for the rest hence making all the Asda savings as well.
    Its a mistake to think Asda are always cheaper, sometimes they are quite a lot more for individual items (recently Welchs grape juice was 50p cheaper at Tesco but not on offer. It has now gone up to be level with Asda, boo hoo). Obviously this is time consuming but savings can be decent.
  • sheils6
    sheils6 Posts: 15,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Yes I agree with Clowance. We don't have an Asda near us but when we go to one I am always disappointed that I can't find things much if any cheaper than Tesco - sometimes dearer. At the moment though Tesco is giving double points so if you spend £120 you get 240 points = £2.40 and if you use that on days out you get £9.60. If you use a Tesco credit card to pay with you get more points again. We save loads on days out and have a great time! Hope that helps a bit.
    Mar Wins :- £2 GfK Media

Best Win of 2019 - Forest Holiday :)
  • I did a comparison shop at Tesco, Asda & Sainsburys purchashing all my usual weekly items. I thoroughly expected Asda to be cheapest because thats what their advert bangs on about. I was shocked when Sainsburys came out cheapest as I expected them to be the most expensive. Tesco were in the middle, & Asda were actually the dearest. The difference between Sainsbury & Tesco was so minimal (less than £2 over a weekly shop) that it makes no sense for me to shop anywhere other than Tesco when you take into account the clubcard rewards.
    COMP WINS FOR HUBBY & I SINCE SEPTEMBER:
    2 £50 DOMINOS VOUCHERS, 13 PAIRS OF FOOTBALL TICKETS, MICROSOFT HOME EDTN, 2 PAIRS OF ALTON TOWERS TICKETS, 1 CASE OF PERCY PIGS, 1 PAIR OF LEATHER LADIES GLOVES, 4 COLLECTION 2000 PRODUCTS, PLAYSTATION 3 WITH FIFA 12, 5* HOTEL STAY IN LONDON, SEASON 6 OF SUPERNATURAL DVD, PERFECT PIZZA VOUCHER
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Mysupermarket.co.uk showed Mr T to be cheaper for me than Asda. I am not a fan of Asda own brand food items I dont think the quality is as good.
    Clubcard points are handy for days out - but it depends how much value you place on them personally. you can also get 2 for 1 vouchers for a lot of theme parks/chain restaurants etc now, so the Deals tokens are not really worth 4x the cash value that Tesco claim they are.
  • johncas1
    johncas1 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Asda adverts say there winner of cheapest suprmarket but I bet on the day when they do the price checks to see who is officially cheapest they lower the prices for just one day to make sure they win Asda have never been cheapest for me people say shop at asda you could save ebough over a year to take the family to Alton Towers I said prove it when I said Tescos had always been cheaper they was surprised
  • I'm very interested in this discussion because I got an Asda delivery for the first time today (have always used Tesco before). Like others here, we have always used the tesco clubcard points for days out, pizza express etc.
    I have to say, at the moment I have yet to be convinced about Asda. They did have some really good offers (esp their 'rollback' ones) but 4 things I ordered on offer were not available, and somehow I still prefer Tesco. I might alternate until I am convinced about one or the other.
    Save £12k in 2021: Jan £1834.40, Feb £1692.81
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport