Postage to Northern Ireland???

Don't suppose there are any kind souls on here who know whether Northern Ireland (specifically Newry) is classed as UK or Europe when sendng parcels.

I've just sold an item on ebay but the bidder is a newbie and didn't contact me first :rolleyes: .
:wave:

Comments

• miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    It's classed as UK and costs the same (Royal Mail) as posting on the Main Land HTH
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi noonesperfect,

As miserly_mum says Newry is part of Northern Ireland which is still part of the Uk and uses Royal Mail.

As this is an ebay question I'll move it over to the ebay board.

Pink
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    I tried to buy a few boxes of blank CDs once, and the company wanted to charge me £15 for postage to Northern Ireland. I emailed them and asked why it was so expensive, and they said that couldn't use Royal Mail to send things to Northern Ireland so they had to use a courier. They kept insisting it was too expensive to use Royal Mail. Finally they said if I wanted to place an order they would "see what they could do". Needless to say I didn't bother. Very annoying. You really do feel like you're in a different country over here a lot of the time.

And sorry to rant, but what is up with the phrase "UK mainland only"? How is Northern Ireland not part of the mainland of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Surely they mean "Great Britain mainland only"?

*phew*

Sorry, I feel better now.
  • ArmitageShanks
    ArmitageShanks Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Don't suppose there are any kind souls on here who know whether Northern Ireland (specifically Newry) is classed as UK or Europe when sendng parcels.

I've just sold an item on ebay but the bidder is a newbie and didn't contact me first :rolleyes: .

Courier No (apart from parcelforce, i think). RM yes.

Edit: totally wrong with parcelforce. The best you'll find for NI with a courier agent is around £11-12
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Royal Mail charge the same for anywhere within the United Kingdom :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 December 2013 at 10:55AM
    Marty_J wrote: »
    I tried to buy a few boxes of blank CDs once, and the company wanted to charge me £15 for postage to Northern Ireland. I emailed them and asked why it was so expensive, and they said that couldn't use Royal Mail to send things to Northern Ireland so they had to use a courier. They kept insisting it was too expensive to use Royal Mail. Finally they said if I wanted to place an order they would "see what they could do". Needless to say I didn't bother. Very annoying. You really do feel like you're in a different country over here a lot of the time.

Parcelforce, DHL and Fedex all surcharge parcels going to Northern ireland, the Scottish Highlands and the Channel Islands, even though Royal Mail do not.
    And sorry to rant, but what is up with the phrase "UK mainland only"? How is Northern Ireland not part of the mainland of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? Surely they mean "Great Britain mainland only"?

I agree. Technically Great Britain consists of the land mass of England, Scotland & Wales. The United Kingdom is a generic definition of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as two separate entities, so there is no true place as "UK mainland". I was born in near Belfast, but now live in England although I still have a noticeable Northern Ireland accent. I am fed up with trying to explain to people that I am British, not Irish....

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    stevew8975 wrote: »
    I agree. Technically Great Britain consists of the land mass of England, Scotland & Wales. The United Kingdom is a generic definition of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as two separate entities, so there is no true place as "UK mainland". I was born in near Belfast, but now live in England although I still have a noticeable Northern Ireland accent. I am fed up with trying to explain to people that I am British, not Irish....

Well, you can be Irish if you want. Or British. Or both. Or neither probably.

The wonders of coming from Northern Ireland! lol
    And another thing - why are so many Irish pubs called Pogue Mahone? There must be enough Gaelic speakers "on the mainland" who know what that actually means!!

Maybe they're trying to tell them something? :D
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    As far as I'm concerned the whole of Ireland is part of the British Isles/Great Britain/United Kingdom, call it what you will. Apologies to those living in Ireland, but the borders mean nothing to me, sorry.

I got mixed up, as I had a buyer from Southern Ireland (now I think about it) last year and was very surprised to find out how much it cost to send a parcel there.
    :wave:
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    As far as I'm concerned the whole of Ireland is part of the British Isles/Great Britain/United Kingdom, call it what you will. Apologies to those living in Ireland, but the borders mean nothing to me, sorry.

It's a completely different country - different laws, different road signs. different currency, different government, and even a different language in the west of the country.

It's exactly the same as France being separate from Germany, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and Spain. Come to think of it, that huge land mass to the east of the British isles, the one that starts at France, and ends at China - is that also one country? :rolleyes:
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
  • seashore321
    seashore321 Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    I have sent several things to Northern Ireland and they cost exactly the same as sending to the U.K. apart from really, really large items. Some of the smaller items I have sent have been received faster than ones I have sent 50 miles down the road!!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure