PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Syman wrote: »
    Just finished Spandau Phoenix - Greg Iles. Good read if you like WW2 and conspircy theories.

not sure what is next on my list.

Maybe a re-read of Way of the Wyrd by Brian Bates.

Well went with Simon Kernick - "The Witness" in the end.
    26530642.jpg
    Brilliant plot well laid out. first in a new series featuring "DI Ray Mason"
    4.5/5 stars.

next book is
    30259893.jpg
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Chalk Pit: The Dr Ruth Galloway Mysteries 9 - Elly Griffiths.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I finished Flyte and started The Partisan's Daughter by Louis de Bernieres. I've vaguely recognised some bits so I think I've read it before. I can't remember how it ends though so I'll keep going but I'm speed reading it so I can move onto something new.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    After finishing The Innocent Man by John Grisham (which is based on a true story), I then read Forever Young (as in Mel Gibson film), which I've had for years but not got around to reading, although I've always loved the film.

I'm now reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, as I've challenged myself to read some of the classics. I wasn't too sure about this before I started reading it, but I am quite enjoying it. I bought this and 2 other classics, from the charity shop that raises funds for the hospice where my DH spent his last couple of weeks. They had a lot of other classics there so I may get some more next time I'm in town as they are 3 for £1 and I do like to support this charity.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Winchelsea
    Winchelsea Posts: 693 Forumite
    pollypenny,
    I have to say the Poundland books are a bit of a curate's egg - good in parts. I don't find that many in there that I'll read. But that's probably just me being fussy.......!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I've bought a couple of poundland books in the past, I think it's just a case of lucky timing.

I keep meaning to read more classics but at the moment my priority is getting the TBR 'pile' down. It's actually eight shelves packed three deep and another three shelves one deep. I'm a bit behind my plan for 100 books this year, when I get caught up I think I'll aim for one classic a month. The big problem with that now is that I'd have to dig through to find them. Maybe when they're only two layers deep...

Anyway, it's been full steam ahead today - I finished The Partisan's Daughter - OK but I didn't really like either character. I don't know why I kept it after the first reading, other than because I was in full hoarding mode.

Another quick/easy read next - One of Our Thursdays is Missing, by Jasper Fforde.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse, I'm actually getting into "How to be Both"! I've been away and been too busy/tired to read; I'll let you know what I think when I finish it.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm slipping a bit but in fairness have read several work-related business books that are neither use nor ornament to this thread. I switched my brain off and read this one this evening:

Book 11:

5121iLhSxxL.jpg

6.5/10. A very easy read and practically very useful given that I can't run for toffee! (Although I do walk very fast and am not fat by any stretch of the imagination). The author is very honest in saying that at first you will hate it, and this will take quite some time to pass before you get into the "zone". I am still at the pre-contemplative stage and am not sure that I'll ever do it because I see so many unnecessary sporting injuries that are difficult to recover from 100%. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Finished Flood of Fire,,at last! My god, it was a plod.

This is a trilogy which didn't work, although I like Amitav Ghosh usually. Too many characters, others from the early book hardly touched on, too much historical detail, especially the battles.

I started Bodies of Light, by Sarah Moss. Good, but I decided that I need a quick crime novel. Started, and nearly finished, Crossing Places. My first Elly Griffiths.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Being returned to the library alongside Miss Peregrine's HPC this week are:

No Mark Upon Her by Deborah Crombie

Murder mystery set on the Thames around Henley, where one autumn afternoon an Olympic hopeful goes out to train and fails to return. Found this interesting as I knew nothing whatsoever about rowing/sculling beforehand.

The Silent Ones by Ali Knight

Serial killer refuses to divulge the whereabouts of her victims, so the brother of one of them gets a job in the psychiatric hospital, to try and get closure for his parents. Lots of twists and turns.

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

When the transatlantic liner Empress Alexandra suffers an explosion in 1914, survivors soon fill the lifeboats to the point of serious overcrowding and this story follows the fortunes of one such boat as its occupants struggle to survive. Full of moral dilemmas.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure