I want to be debt free...

Hi all,

I want to figure out a way of paying off my debts without getting absolutely exploited with the interest I am currently paying.

Here is my situation:

1. Natwest Credit Card - £1,500 - paying minimum monthly payments (£36).

2. Natwest Graduate Loan - £14,000 - paying £337 each month with £197 being interest!

Is there any way in which I can reduce the interest on the loan? It's ridiculously high...

Also, I am not working now and have a small lump sum of money which I was informed I could potentially offer Natwest for example £600 to pay off my credit card and they would potentially take it, is this correct?

Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable with things like this, thus why I am seeking your advice.

Thank you so much!

Comments

• moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Typically reduced full and final payments are only accepted if the debt has defaulted, and perhaps been passed on to a DCA. If you are making the contractual payments they are very unlikely to take a reduced amount at the moment.

Will you be able to make the payments on the loan if you are not working?
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    what are the interest rates on the sums you owe? Do you owe anything else?
  • Is there any way in which I can reduce the interest on the loan? It's ridiculously high...

What is the interest rate?
    Also, I am not working now and have a small lump sum of money which I was informed I could potentially offer Natwest for example £600 to pay off my credit card and they would potentially take it, is this correct?

Have you defaulted on the account?

If yes, has the account been passed to a DCA?
  • The interest rate on my loan is about 22.2% APR.

On the Credit Card, I am not entirely sure.

I thought that might be the case, that because I've previously made all the payments then it wouldn't be offered. However, going forward I will be living outside of the UK and be classified as being Self-Employed and making a significantly reduced income compared to my previous income, would this effect things?

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated!
  • You need to find out the exact APRs.

That will enable you to determine the best options for clearing the debts.

At the very least, it will enable you to determine which debts to aim any spare cash at.

As to going Self Employed, no it won't change matters.

So long as you continue to meet the contractual minimum payments, there is no reason for your creditors to accept less than the full amount.

I suggest you post a SOA (link below), so the good people (aka geniuses) of MSE can take a look and advise you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure