PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unwelcome tenant.

Comments

• J,M wrote: »
    To all, please accept the fact that he is a registered sex offender.

I,m off for a pint.

Sorry, why should we? If you know through legitimate, innocent means such as his crimes being in the local press or a victim being someone you know personally, then why would you have a problem telling us that?

If you know through gossip or underhand means, the information isn't so reliable and the advice maybe different.
  • I think OP was hoping for something more along the lines of:
    latest?cb=20110105212245

Sadly what they got were pragmatic people. Sex Offenders have a right to a home....
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    J,M wrote: »

I,m off for a pint.

Yeah, sure we will.

My attitude to forums is healthy scepticism. We don't know you from Adam and have no obligation to believe anything you say.

Not to mention the fact that the sex offenders register has a huge spectrum of offenders listed on it. Some I would worry about, others not so much.

I don't like child abusers or rapists, but I don't like witch hunts either.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,272
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You do realise that the range of offences to get on that register is quite wide? If he is on the register, only hearsay so far, then he could be on it for something that was originally included in the 97 act but removed from the 2003 act. Removal in that situation is up to the person to apply.

Simple voyeurism can get you on there

OP you have absolutely no evidence. Only scuttlebut. I suggest you do nothing unless/until you get positive proof and even then there is very little you can do apart from issue a S21.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    J,M wrote: »

To yourself, please accept you have given him a fixed term of 6 or 12 months and cannot be gone before then, as a landlord you should know this already ans cannot simply ask to leave tut tut.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cjdavies wrote: »
    To yourself, please accept you have given him a fixed term of 6 or 12 months and cannot be gone before then, as a landlord you should know this already ans cannot simply ask to leave tut tut.
    To be fair, we don't know that. OP may have granted a 3 month fixed term. Or a Contractual Periodic. Or whatever.

But as he's gone down the pub rather than answer the relevant questions (because he didn't get the immediate positive replies he wanted?), we don't know so can't advise.

Just hope he IS down the pub and not harassing a paediatrician........
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary. And I wouldn't care which particular sex offence it is. The earlier post quotes 'simple voyeurism' as if it's something harmless.

OP, unfortunately if you've given this tenant a fixed term, I don't know of any (legal) means of removing him quickly. Since it's now local gossip, I would definitely make sure you have adequate home insurance.
  • unforeseen
    Forumite
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    I must be the only one who feels differently here. It's a sex offender! I'd want him out using whatever means necessary. And I wouldn't care which particular sex offence it is. The earlier post quotes 'simple voyeurism' as if it's something harmless.
    Fair enough. How about consensual sex with your sister? Will probably get you on the register for longer than voyeurism. It doesn't affect anybody else. The chances of going on to bigger and better sexual offences is nil.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,885
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Fair enough. How about consensual sex with your sister? Doesn't affect anybody else. The chances of going on to bigger and better sexual offences is nil.

Do you mean statutory rape? In that case, I still would want him out. He's still a sex offender.
  • unforeseen
    Forumite
    edited 6 October 2017 at 6:37PM
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Do you mean statutory rape? In that case, I still would want him out. He's still a sex offender.

No I didn't mean that. Consensual sex with a relative is a specific offence in the 2003 act.

Why do you assume that the other party is a minor? Something from your childhood? I think that says a lot about your thought processes that you equated it with sex with a minor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure