£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• I am not going to tell you how many teaspoons I got for my £10.50 ;) . Seriously, I really like our cutlery, I tried replacing them with cheap Sainsbury's ones but they irritate me daily, so I have downgraded them to camping ones and bought nice ones. Having received a refund on the shirt for rather more than £10, I was guilt free.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    My boyfriend is exactly the same with cutlery. He's so picky and hates the cheaper kind because it's too flimsy. Personally, I don't get it. A spoon's a spoon, if it scoops food up and applies it to my gob, I'm happy :rotfl:
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    My boyfriend is exactly the same with cutlery. He's so picky and hates the cheaper kind because it's too flimsy. Personally, I don't get it. A spoon's a spoon, if it scoops food up and applies it to my gob, I'm happy :rotfl:

Me too :rotfl: I'd use plastic if I could get away with it :rotfl:
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Me too :rotfl: I'd use plastic if I could get away with it :rotfl:

We are the absolute pinnacle of class :rotfl:

Sorry TOPM for sullying your diary with our blasphemy :D
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • I am really fussy with cutlery! I always notice it when round at peoples houses, not to judge them if not to my cutlery standard, but my OH thinks it's weird to even be aware of it in the first place! Can't be flimsy and can't have plastic handles if it's going to make the cut! Glad someone else understands! :rotfl: xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yay! to the refund. (And well done for being brave about getting it).

Teaspoons abduct odd socks and turn them into biro lids. I thought everyone knew that.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • I am really fussy with cutlery! I always notice it when round at peoples houses, not to judge them if not to my cutlery standard, but my OH thinks it's weird to even be aware of it in the first place! Can't be flimsy and can't have plastic handles if it's going to make the cut! Glad someone else understands! :rotfl: xx
    I always notice it too! More in a 'ooh, this is nice' if someone has good cutlery, . Plastic handles are not ok. My mum has really nice wooden handled cutlery that she and my dad got as a wedding present (40 odd years ago, she kept them when they divorced a decade later ;) ), I contemplated getting the same at one stage, but even I drew the line at £13.50 for a teaspoon!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Week 17: day 7

Ahhh, weekend. I'm actually working pretty much all weekend, but admin stuff, no clients, so it's much more relaxed.

Also going to try to get the final coat of paint on the front of our house, and DH is hiring a tool to cut down the old council installed concrete fence posts so we can put up our new homemade fence (donated pickets, I've been painting them all week)

to do today:
    1. Try again to tidy and declutter the utility room, which has become a bit of a dumping ground.
    2. Knit a little more of the socks for my mum's birthday present.
    3. Plan budget Father's Day gift/activity. Have been having a think about this and no real inspiration is striking.
    4. Check whether we have any more homemade candles, and whether I need to order essential oils to make more if not.
    5. Menu plan and shopping list for next week - needs to come in under £70, preferably under £60 to allow for top ups.
    6. Check DC1's cub camp packing list and see if we need to plan on buying anything.
    7. Prep some work social media posts for next week, as I am not keeping on top of daily posting at the minute.

to do this week:
    1. finish painting the pickets for the front fence. have managed a few more, hoping to get another batch done tomorrow
    2. plan June's working time (still haven't 'gone back' to work thanks to half term). Done!
    3. roughly plan out summer working time (i.e. where I can squeeze in the odd hour while the DC are on holiday).
    4. apply for new 0% balance transfer card. Done, accepted, DFD recalculated.
    5. research utilities providers - I suspect we can move again and save a little bit. Done. No real saving, but have avoided a price rise.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I like cutlery with 'weight' in the handles and all metal - ours isn't expensive but has to feel right. Hate 'bendy' metal cutlery. My husband is the same and there is next to nothing he bothers about like that. We have a mix of two sets in the kitchen - we both rummage through to get a 'preferred' spoon.

Best thing I've learnt after many years shopping is that you hardly every have to pay 'full price' if you can just make yourself wait a little. If I'm buying items at the top end of my budget (which of course will be the bottom end of ToPM's ;)) then I have to make sure its on some kind of offer or wait, even if its just a discount code or bought with a discounted or gifted gift card.

Strangely enough, cutlery is always going on sale.
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JoJoC wrote: »
    We also manage to lose teaspoons...can't imagine why! I blame it on living in a house with three males.

My son when a toddler used to regularly put the teaspoon in the bin with the yoghurt pot! I have bought dozens of them. I haven't found ones to match my other cutlery for a couple of years now and it drives me mad only having 4 of the original type left...
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure