Paying cheques into account

helenthegardener
helenthegardener Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 27 April 2017 at 5:22PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Please does anyone know which current accounts allow easy cheque pay in. I have had a lloyds account for 20years but the branches (and post Office) are not convenient to me since I moved because they are situated in a pedestrian only precinct in the centre of town which has no vehicle access.

There are no traditional banks that I would bank with easy parking available so I am considering alternative e.g. A supermarket which at least is open longer hours and has parking.

If I could pay cheques in at my local Sainsbury's or Co-op or similar would be so much easier but am having trouble finding out which accounts allow this and really don't want to resort to paying postage to bank cheques because the cheques are for relatively small amounts.

Thanks H

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2017 at 1:00PM
    https://yourcommunity.tescobank.com/t5/Current-Accounts/Where-should-I-send-cheques-to-be-paid-into-my-current-account/ta-p/670

Do you not have any bank branches near you ? Santander branch outside cash machines take cheque deposits.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Co-op certainly take cheques as my husband pays in the Premium Bond wins. I think you can still send them in secure envelopes via Post Office branches, too.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Open a current account at a bank with a branch near you - you can pay in your cheques and then FP the cleared funds to Lloyds at your convenience.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Worth noting that banks will officially start offering the option to pay in cheques by scanning them in via a mobile banking app later this year.

This will be available from from 30 October 2017 from the large banks followed by everyone else in 2018.

See this FAQ for some more details
  • molerat
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    Worth noting that banks will officially start offering the option to pay in cheques by scanning them in via a mobile banking app later this year.

This will be available from from 30 October 2017 from the large banks followed by everyone else in 2018.

See this FAQ for some more details
    Providing you have the correct device / os and bank combination
  • gt94sss2
    molerat wrote: »
    Providing you have the correct device / os and bank combination

Of course, though I imagine everyone will be fine unless someone has a Windows 10 phone but that is a broader issue of some banks not having any form of app for that OS at all.

As I understand it, it's likely that customers will also be able to use a desktop scanner to image cheques if that is their preference or they don't have a suitable mobile/tablet.

Going back to the OP's post, I think First Direct are (were?) one of the very few who would provide pre-paid envelopes for their customers to post cheques to them, if they can't wait until October..
  • molerat
    Of course, though I imagine everyone will be fine unless someone has a Windows 10 phone but that is a broader issue of some banks not having any form of app for that OS at all.

As I understand it, it's likely that customers will also be able to use a desktop scanner to image cheques if that is their preference or they don't have a suitable mobile/tablet.

Going back to the OP's post, I think First Direct are (were?) one of the very few who would provide pre-paid envelopes for their customers to post cheques to them, if they can't wait until October..
    I have a W10 phone which, as said, has very poor coverage but my Android 6 device cannot use the Santander or Tesco apps. Halifax & BOS has just started working recently.
  • gt94sss2
    Off topic now but what Android device? I also have a Android phone running Nougat and all those apps work on it...
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite

You mean like those of us using Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 running on Android 3.0 will be fine?
    It is after all only 3.5 years old!
    Just like we cannot use any banking apps at the moment, as its already too out of date.

So I rather think not everyone will be fine.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 12:00PM
    You may be able to pay the cheque into another bank providing you have a pre printed paying in slip.

Some banks may charge for the privilege depends on the cashier. I appreciate cost is an issue to you but find out which ones will do it for free. Halifax might be an option as there in the same group.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family