IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Me and Excel - At war!

Options

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Brilliantly fought Lami (and CM, BP and other contributors). It's so satisfying to see a PPC royally stuffed, but (reality check) for every PPC stuffed there's a hundred motorists stiffed.

However, kudos to you Lami on a great victory. Wallow in and enjoy your success. You'll be remembered in forum history. Come back and help others once the dust has settled (and your hangover has cleared! :beer:)

Thanks for updating us.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »
    As some of you will know this is because my forum posts were being used against me in the case that was adjourned following my victory against Excel/BWL back in November.......
    Now that court cases are becoming commonplace maybe this issue should be highlighted in the Newbies FAQ.

So many newbies naively allow themselves to be identified because they seemingly underestimate how the ppcs monitor all posts and threads here
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 9:20PM
    Options
    I am puzzled, how can what one posts on an internet forum be used against one, unless one admits to driving? Even an admission of bilking is not fatal. How come such a simple case wasted so much of everyones' time.

Sometimes I des[air at the stupidity ay some of these parking companies. I am sure that Lamilad will now make their lives hell.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »

The Result...
    Justice served... Claim dismissed!

...A relief, considering this would've cost me £687. I was awarded costs of £104.50.

Is this the end for me and Excel? I'm not banking on it!

Well done again :T

Unsure why they use text from this forum ?

Why would you hear anything more from Excel. all they can do is poop in their nappies.

Don't forget, If Excel don't pay the £104.50, get the court bailiffs to pay them a visit for collection

:beer:
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I am puzzled, how can what one posts on an internet forum be used against one, unless one admits to driving? Even an admission of bilking is not fatal. How come such a simple case wasted so much of everyones' time.

Sometimes I des[air at the stupidity ay some of these parking companies. I am sure that Lamilad will now make their lives hell.

The forum posting (on Pepipoo) was central to the case, as Excel were arguing that there was an inference that he was driving. The judge found that not to be the case. But we advised him to stay off-forum until it was all over.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • fil_cad
    fil_cad Posts: 834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great Result, :beer: the lengths ppcs go to extort your cash. :eek:
    PPCs say its carpark management, BPA say its raising standards..... we all know its just about raking in the revenue. :eek:
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

In my pepipoo thread I'd stated that I couldn't remember the event or who was driving, but in my WS I'd stated that I definitely was not driving. JB tried to say both can't be true therefore I was lying and not a 'credible' witness.

Problem (for him) was the thread he was quoting from was about my previous case back in Nov, involving a different vehicle and had no bearing on this case whatsoever. Despite this I addressed the comment which was among the first few comments posted, by saying truthfully that at the time of receiving the court papers I could not recollect an otherwise unremarkable event on an unremarkable day. It was only as I investigated further, over the coming weeks and months, that I knew that I couldn't have been the driver and so was able to state as much in my WS.

He also picked up on a comment where I'd said I use the car park regularly yet in both cases I had stated that I had not ever driven either vehicle to the car park in question. This is true as I was referring to the fact that I used to use the car park regularly a few years ago when I owned a different vehicle. Nonetheless he went on about this for ages trying to say my comments didn't make sense and I must be lying. I wasn't, I just hadn't worded it right... but it's a comment on an internet forum not a formal witness statement
  • catfunt
    catfunt Posts: 624 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Now that court cases are becoming commonplace maybe this issue should be highlighted in the Newbies FAQ.

So many newbies naively allow themselves to be identified because they seemingly underestimate how the ppcs monitor all posts and threads here

Indeed - I do raise this very issue from time to time as in this post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5532696

and this case shows exactly why. OK, there was nothing incriminating in Lamilad's posts, but the potential for problems is very clear.

This issue needs raising at the very top of the Newbies thread under a "Before You Post" heading, to try and avoid situations like this.

Lamilad - Congrats! I know you had plenty of help, but you still had to see it through. Good on you mate!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2017 at 10:21PM
    Options
    As already said - very well done Lamilad! We enjoyed helping you and we'd like to see you stick around.

What Lamilad hasn't said is that he helps other newbies himself already, based on what he has learned and he immediately obtained the transcript to his first win, at significant cost that he felt was not a problem to give something back to others. He did that in order that other newbies can benefit from using it to show a case well-argued on the ''no POFA, no liability'' point.

Hopefully The Parking Prankster will pick up on this and publish Lamilad's full court report about 'round two' (we haven't heard it all from you yet Lamilad - blow by blow please, once you've calmed down!) and hopefully the Prankster will also host the court transcript of 'Lamilad Round One' at Skipton, from November 2016, in his Case Law pages.

Just goes to show, however Excel happened to come across that pepipoo thread, Lamilad was being honest and the innocent party won. In this case it was vital to take this off-forum; we could see that his cases were attracting interest and becoming a target and we guessed yesterday that Excel would not just send a third party rep.

:T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Hopefully The Parking Prankster will pick up on this and publish Lamilad's full court report about 'round two' (we haven't heard it all from you yet Lamilad - blow by blow please, once you've calmed down!) and hopefully the Prankster will also host the court transcript of 'Lamilad Round One' at Skipton, from November 2016, in his Case Law pages.

I'll certainly post a detailed account of events - probably tomorrow. Although after getting the transcript from my previous case it showed how different my recollection was from the reality... but I'll do my best.
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    we guessed yesterday that Excel would not just send a third party rep.

:T

Indeed you did, and going up against JB was very different to the bumbling, fumbling, stumbling Mr Pickup. He knows his stuff and is sharp as a tack. He managed to make a very weak argument seem quite credible. He said, towards the end, that he had never had a judge decide against him before, I'm sure thats not true (I think it was a last ditch attempt to sway the judge) but he certainly didn't like losing. He was utterly dejected at the end - but then it was a long and, at times, quite confrontational, hearing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure