Car Finance

Maybe I've got no chance of doing this, but I'll ask anyway...

Is there anyway of reducing the monthly payments on car finance?

I'm just over a year into my 5 year contract with Moto Novo Finance.

I'm paying £157.74 per month, of which £143.40 is the actual car repayment, and the other £14.34 consists of unemployment insurance, accident & sickness insurance and life insurance.

My interest rate is 7.50% per annum, and I have £7035 left to pay as of tomorrow.

Is it possible to change finance companies in the hope of reducing my monthly payments?
"No sacrifice, no victory"
- Transformers (2007)

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can get a personal loan elsewhere and pay it off in full. But will you be able to get a loan at a better rate?

You need the settlement figure. And it may not reduce the payment by much at all.

Cancel the extra insurance if you feel you wont need it? But it maybe a package so you need to ask and check the terms.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• seanavfc92
    seanavfc92 Posts: 231 Forumite
    You can get a personal loan elsewhere and pay it off in full. But will you be able to get a loan at a better rate?

You need the settlement figure. And it may not reduce the payment by much at all.

Cancel the extra insurance if you feel you wont need it? But it maybe a package so you need to ask and check the terms.

My settlement figure is £5535.

It's extremely unlikely I'll find a better rate for a personal loan as my credit score wouldn't allow it as far as I'm aware!
    - Transformers (2007)
  • You might have to ride it out I'm afraid. Car finance from what I experienced is fixed - once the monthly amount is calculated, it can't be altered after the cooling off period, and if it can, then chances are you'd be paying more off in additional interest than the actual capital of the car, so it becomes unfeasible.

I just finished 4 years with Volkswagen finance - it feels like an aeon once you start but it's surprising how quickly you reach that final payment, and you'll soon learn to budget around that necessary expenditure - of all the debts I've had over the years, car finance was one I never missed a payment on, because I knew they could take the car away if I did.
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Idid your paperwork out - is it actually HP or a loan?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Idid your paperwork out - is it actually HP or a loan?

Hi there,

This is a really important question. Please do let us know. To answer your question, there are ways and processes which *may* allow you to reduce the amount you pay on either type of finance. Once you've found the paperwork please come back and we can let you know your options.

Best wishes,

David @ National Debtline.
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • seanavfc92
    Hi there,

This is a really important question. Please do let us know. To answer your question, there are ways and processes which *may* allow you to reduce the amount you pay on either type of finance. Once you've found the paperwork please come back and we can let you know your options.

Best wishes,

David @ National Debtline.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Statement of Account for my first year with them.

Underneath that it says "Hire Purchase agreement number", so would assume it's HP?
    - Transformers (2007)
  • seanavfc92
    Apologies for the bump, just wanted to see if there was any other advice :A
    - Transformers (2007)
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you need to reduce your outgoings could you sell your car and settle the finance? (please ignore this if you don't need to reduce your outgoings and just want a better deal).

If you would then need money for a cheaper car of 1-2k perhaps you could use a 0% purchase credit card if you have reasonable credit to get one and buy the car from a garage, or use an existing credit card and balance transfer. Paying around your current level it should be possible to clear it within the 0% period if you get 12-18 months on purchases. If you need to pay less each month and have good credit you should be able to juggle what is left to another card.

Good luck with finding something that works for you.
  • seanavfc92
    tlc678910 wrote: »
    If you need to reduce your outgoings could you sell your car and settle the finance? (please ignore this if you don't need to reduce your outgoings and just want a better deal).

If you would then need money for a cheaper car of 1-2k perhaps you could use a 0% purchase credit card if you have reasonable credit to get one and buy the car from a garage, or use an existing credit card and balance transfer. Paying around your current level it should be possible to clear it within the 0% period if you get 12-18 months on purchases. If you need to pay less each month and have good credit you should be able to juggle what is left to another card.

Good luck with finding something that works for you.

I owe £5.5k as a settlement figure but the car is only worth £3k.

Don't fancy adding the shortfall to the end of another finance agreement!
    - Transformers (2007)
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    You haven't said if this is due to financial hardship. If it is then this won't be an option that's available to you, but one thing you can do is to pay off a lump sum and ask them to use the amount to reduce the monthly payments.

Most finance agreements will let you either take a payment holiday or lower the monthly payments when you pay off a lump sum.

E.g. I paid £500 off my PCP agreement last month and that lowered my monthly payment by £17 ish per month (it's a 4 year agreement).
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family