Plusnet Line Rental Saver

Options
I have seen various references to this on this forum and on the net but I can't find anywhere that tells me how much the discount actually is for paying yearly instead of monthly.
I am thinking of getting their up to 35 fibre to the cabinet package with PAYG calls as we rarely use the current BT landline for calls. It's really only there because we need it for the ASDL broadband. We are currently with BT for the landline. We don't have a contract. We are still on the old fashioned paper bills paying quarterly and only have weekend calls included.
The Plusnet package is £23.99 per month for 18 months with no setup fee. Does anybody have this package that could tell me how much you save by paying up front.

Comments

• steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Line rental costs £18.99 a month.

Pay for 12 months line rental in advance and save money. Line Rental Saver costs £197.88 for 12 months line rental (monthly equivalent £16.49).
    https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/
  • craobhan
    Options
    Thanks so much Steve. Never thought to look at the answer to that particular question as I thought it would just say Plusnet plc or whatever.
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Though as line rental is sold in 12 month lumps but broadband in 18 month lumps it can make calculating the cost interesting.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mnbvcxz wrote: »
    Though as line rental is sold in 12 month lumps but broadband in 18 month lumps it can make calculating the cost interesting.

After 12 months you can either pay for 6 months at full price or renew for 12 months and have no leverage when the original 18 month term is up, unless you want to forfeit 6 months of reduced price payments (which may or may not be more than a new deal anyway).

These out of step deals only coincide after 3 years, when you are free to negotiate.

That's one advantage of ADSL which is still largely 12 months based.
  • Bach_Off
    Bach_Off Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just had a long conversation with Plusnet regarding their line saver rental. They will not refund any unused months should you decide to switch providers?

I can't decide now 12 months into contract if I will renew when the 18 months expires?

There isn't any choice but to pay 6 months at full price or risk losing nearly £100 if you do choose to go elsewhere.

I thought the Ofcom ruling meant they had to refund line rental but this is only where the pricing package changes and you leave mid-contract a as a result.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    I've recently renewed my LRS (12 months) and upgraded to Fibre Extra (18 months minimum term)with an obvious overlap. However, I reserve the right to go elsewhere when they next increase their prices - they will!
    So I don't have your dilemma and as far as I know the unused portion of LRS is only refundable if a customer leaves because of that price increase/detrimental change and not because they have found a better deal elsewhere within the LRS 12 months.
    Can you do what I have done?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport