Christmas greetings - or not?

It's the time of year when, as a small business, we like to wish a Merry Christmas to our clients/colleagues and people in general that we've worked with.

However, we work worldwide, and it's likely that many of the people we work with don't celebrate Christmas. What's the accepted thing to do? As a quick example, out of 24 sub-contractors that we deal with regularly, 4 are Muslim and one is Hindu. It seems rude to not send some sort of seasonal greeting when we'll be sending greetings to the other 19, but equally wishing them a Merry Christmas seems a bit odd. There's no gifts involved, just purely greetings sent via email/LinkedIn.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome - in particular a form of words that would work for everyone would be much appreciated!!
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Just wish them a Merry Christmas and don't overthink it! You're not going to cause anyone offence much as you don't get offended if a Hindu brings in sweets to wish you a happy Diwali. Celebrating one another's festivals is a good thing :)
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    as above, if "they" take offence then "they" are not the sort of customers you should have. The Hindu and the Muslim in our office are delighted to be included in "seasons greetings", and reciprocate for their festivals
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would run with Seasons Greetings, no offending anybody there. :)
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    All Muslims I know don't have an issue with Christmas. They accept that it is a Christian based holiday and respect it, just the way the Jews and Hindus do. Some of my Muslim neighbours also celebrate Christmas because of their children being in multifaith schools.

As above, don't over think it.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Unless they have their own religious holiday around this time - afaik only the jewish faith coincides - I would say merry Christmas.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I would run with Seasons Greetings, no offending anybody there. :)

Don't be such a wuss!

I'm offended by this Happy Holidays so if anybody wishes me Happy Holidays I just say I'm not on holiday so Happy Christmas:)
  • Or you could just send out Happy New Year cards instead.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 680
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ...out of 24 sub-contractors that we deal with regularly, 4 are Muslim and one is Hindu...

How do you know the religious beliefs of the sub contractors you use? Do you ask them or are you simply making assumptions about their beliefs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure