Worst Bank / Building Society TV advert

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jamie_02 wrote: »
    Since when was Nationwide 'not for profit'?

No shareholders, so not for profit.

Apart from keeping a reserve all profits should go back to members, the problem is much of the profit is retained within the management team, so little different to many banks.

A lot of charities have a similar approach though.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 September 2017 at 10:39AM
    I don't think I've seen the offending Nationwide ones, but thought the one for the student account wasn't all that.

The Halifax ones don't annoy me as such but I don't think they're good adverts either (I wouldn't even advertise a 11-17 account with Scooby Doo!)
  • I despise the Nationwide adverts.
  • I like the Nationwide ones. A bit different, and rely on the viewer having a bit of intelligence. The FCA one with 'Arnie on caterpillar tracks' on the other hand...
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Don't get me started on a certain insurance brokers use of He Man characters!
  • I like the Nationwide ones. A bit different, and rely on the viewer having a bit of intelligence. The FCA one with 'Arnie on caterpillar tracks' on the other hand...

We must hold different views of 'intelligence'.

They're pompous nonsense!
    I'm not quite sure what intelligence the Nationwide adverts require you to have. I get the point of them but they're a bit too aspirational and pretentious for my liking.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    We were NW customers for many years, then they closed all the Estate Agency branches in our town the nearest branch was a 44 mile round trip away. We moved to TSB and found a bank branch that is like going back in time. We use the Internet Bank, but any problems are soon sorted by a trip to the frienliest branch I have ever used/

TV banking Ads? They are all on a par with ALL TV ads for me. Absolute nonsense, usually what is shown bears no relation whatsoever to the product or service which is supposedly advertised. There is one in particular which carries the script "72% of 50 women agree". I almost fell off the chair at that one - that will be 36 women then?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Don't get me started on a certain insurance brokers use of He Man characters!

Oh I like them - they made me laugh!
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 September 2017 at 11:41AM
    The concept of Halifax trying to coax me into banking with them with puppets and cartoon characters still winds me up, with the implication that I'm a simpleton that gurgles and claps when I see Scooby-Doo to the point I base financial decisions on it.

I did hear one of the Nationwide poem ads on the radio and just thought it was silly and bland. I can't stand when companies try too hard to seem "down to earth" and "in touch with peoples' lives" or some such w*nk. It's the same attitude which means half of the adverts on TV have a soundtrack of strummed guitars and whistling.

Nothing, however, is worse than MoneySupermarket. You don't want to know what I'd do if I had diplomatic immunity, a closed room and whoever thinks up their adverts. I'd let Nationwide read me poems all day if it meant I never had to see another Epic Something with accompanying hashtag. Second prize going to that thankfully now gone Confused.com advert with the dancing robots, which I've always thought would have been improved with a large electromagnetic pulse right above it.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family