Best current account not for wages

Hi,

maybe one day I will have learnt enough to post some advice, but for now its all questions.

I want to change from Barclays for my 'personal' account. Hubby and I have a joint account with wages paid in and all bills paid out, and each month we have £250 'personal' money which we pay into our own bnak accounts to give some privacy of spending. We are happy with our joint account, but I am no longer very happy with Barclays.

Can anyone tell me how to find out which is the best current account - I am averagely about £100 in credit, but need a £250 overdraft facility just in case. I'd love an account that gave free money when opening it, but I assume these need your wages paying in each month, which isn't going to happen.

Thanks for any advice
Ruth

Comments

• nh
    nh Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Direct gave me £25 for opening an account and I don't pay my wages in. You get 2% as well in credit and a £500 overdraft (not at 0% though of course)

I would say that would be perfect for you. You get a switch card etc as you would with any account.
    I'm married now! Yippee!
  • Ruthann
    Ruthann Posts: 63 Forumite
    Thanks for the advice - but I checked their T&C and you do have to have your wages or £1000 a month paid in to qualify for the £25. I guess they have changed it to prevent people opening the account, taking the £25 and then closing it.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How about Smile [3.3% interest in credit]? No funding requirement either - like some banks' accounts.
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Direct - no contest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business