PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

securing house.

My husband has his own business, but it is not a limited company. We have a £35,000 left to pay on our mortgage. I do not work because we have youngish children. Is there any way we could transfer the house into my name alone, even though I do not actually earn anything. I always worry that if there was a decline in work and my husband had no choice but to go bankrupt, that we could loose the house. Anyone got any ideas how we could prevent this from happening ? ???

Comments

• You have almost answered your own question.
    At present you have the advantages of not being a limited company and you would like to have the benefit of being a limited company. Perhaps it is "make your mind up" time.

Simon Kallow
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    My husband has his own business, but it is not a limited company. We have a £35,000 left to pay on our mortgage. I do not work because we have youngish children.  Is there any way we could transfer the house into my name alone, even though I do not actually earn anything.  I always worry that if there was a decline in work and my husband had no choice but to go bankrupt, that we could loose the house. Anyone got any ideas how we could prevent this from happening ? ???

Yeh he can gift you the property, though any creditor can still make a claim for the property for a certain number of years, I can't recall how many but would happen a guess at 3.
  • shaz1000
    shaz1000 Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the replies. We are reluctant to go limited, because of all the extra work that I have been told is involved.
    In am interested in this gift idea. How can he do this if he still has a mortgage on it, because some of it still belongs to the building society, doesn't it ? Also when you say 3 years do you mean from the time he gives it to me or from the time he becomes bankrupt. Sorry if I am being thick. :-/
  • If your husband has also been loaned money by a bank for his business, it is, in all likelihood, secured against your house.

Therefore 'going Ltd' is not just about paperwork, it's about re-negotitating any terms with the bank / or seeking another means of financial support.

If your husband does not have a loan, then this should not be problematic - although when it comes to asking the bank for money - unless he has capital to put in with a bank, it may be difficult to secure a loan.
    CarQuake / Ergo Digital
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He can't gift it if there's a joint mortgage on it, unless you can have the loan transferred into your sole name. This wouldn't be very likely if you are not earning - although I suppose it could be in your name, with him as a guarantor.

I think what you are asking to do is a bit suspect to be honest and don't think you should go any further in thinking about it without some heavy duty legal advice as to whether what you are considering would be effective.
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. We are reluctant to go limited, because of all the extra work that I have been told is involved.
    In am interested in this gift idea. How can he do this if he still has a mortgage on it, because some of it still belongs to the building society, doesn't it ? Also when you say 3 years do you mean from the time he gives it to me or from the time he becomes bankrupt. Sorry if I am being thick. :-/

The mortgage company will likely have a charge on the property which basically means it can't be sold or gifted without their permission, and I doubt it very much that they would agree your husband to gift it to you.

3 years from the time the property is signed over to you.
  • shaz1000
    What about if he employed me (as I do the accounts and admin) on a salary of say £12,000 per annum, then I would be able to take over the mortgage.Theres no problem with work at the moment, in fact we're having to turn it down, but I would rather sort this out now because no one knows what the future holds.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's a far better idea.

If there's no charge on the property, other than the mortgage, what you are suggesting is probably a runner.

Some legal fees involved in the transfer and the lender will want a "Transfer of Equity" fee. But not more than £500 I should expect.
  • shaz1000
    There are no other loans on the house, so I will give this lastest idea some more thought. Thanks for your help everyone. :)
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    You should be getting a salary of at least 5k to take into account your TFA imo ;) So thats definitely an option you should look at.

Cheers, Des.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport