Requesting removal of financial link - data protection act?

Hello,

My partner needs to remove his ex-wife (with whom he no longer has any financial links) from his credit files. We know that she is still showing on his file through noddle.

He has written to Equifax, Experian and Callcredit using the appropriate templates and providing all of the information needed to identify him and amend his credit file. Equifax have written back to him stating that he must first obtain a copy of his credit report so he can provide their reference number for him in order that they can then comply with his request.

I'm aware that he can do this for £2, but surely on principle he shouldn't be forced to pay for a report he doesn't need (potentially from all three, as we've not heard back from the other two yet) in order to have information they hold about him which is not correct put right.

Any thoughts on how this fits in with DPA rights?

Comments

• Tell him to do it for free via Clearscore.

It fits with DPA rights as they are using it to ensure his identity is as he says.
  • Thank you. I know it's not much money just seems wrong when literally the only difference in the information given will be the £2!

Will the clearscore one be reflected by the other agencies once changed? We're getting ourselves in shape for buying a house next year and she has a serious credit card habit so concerned about any impact she may have on his score.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 January 2018 at 12:06AM
    Thank you. I know it's not much money just seems wrong when literally the only difference in the information given will be the £2!

Will the clearscore one be reflected by the other agencies once changed? We're getting ourselves in shape for buying a house next year and she has a serious credit card habit so concerned about any impact she may have on his [STRIKE]score[/STRIKE] credit file.

There you go fixed that for you.
  • Righty ho.
  • The CRAs are separate companies. You'll need to contact each.
  • Thanks, will suck it up and pay the £6 then. Boo!

Many thanks for the advice :-)
  • Or pay £0 via Clearscore, MSE and Noddle.
  • Sorry, I'm being dense - how do I do that? We've got noddle already, we will sign up to clearscore, what is the MSE one? And how does is work - is it the same notice of disassociation process as with the paid-for ones?

Thank you - explanation for the uninitiated much appreciated! :-)
  • Hazzinho
    Hazzinho Posts: 742 Forumite
    As above use the 3 free one's that update the 3 separate credit files. They have 28 days to action the request.
  • Brilliant, thanks both - apologies for being a bit slow on the uptake! Xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport