Off Grid Gas/Oil Central Heating

2»

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 December 2017 at 5:05PM
    malc_b wrote: »
    Nottingham Energy is a bit off on oil too, 46.6 ppl in Nov 2017, 36.22 in Sept and Aug 2017. I run our local oil club and we got oil for 39.4 in Sept, 44.0 in Nov (36.0 in June and July). Do you see a seasonal variation on LPG BTW? I filled my tank in the summer but I'll probably need a 500 l top up in the new year. So my average price I guess is ~39ppl or about 4.4p/kWh.

I think stealing issue would depend where you live. On an estate with people around all the time it would seem unlikely giving what's involved in taking 1000l of oil away.

My LPG has been 30ppl for the past 2 1/2 years, so no seasonal variation. It certainly does not seem subject to the large variations that you see with oil.

We live in a village (hence no mains gas) and there has been a spate of thefts. People have lost anything up to 1000 litres in one go. They come in the middle of the night and can empty 1000 litres in about 10 minutes - quicker than it takes the tanker to fill it! They are very well organised - and completely silent.

They also wreck your tank, so you have to buy a new one of those as well.

Somehow, I don't think that they'll be doing that with LPG!:)

I suppose to get a more accurate picture of total costs, you need to consider the cost of the boiler and servicing costs. LPG boilers seem to be several hundred pounds cheaper than oil and probably have less moving parts. I know that I pay £50 a year to have my LPG boiler serviced. There's also the cost of the oil tank to consider, as this tends to come free with LPG.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If the NSH are working OK then there's really no economic advantage in swapping them out.

Saving say 5p/kwh on fuel means you have to use 160000 kwh before you break even if it's gonna cost £8k for a new system.

At around 12,000kwh a year that would be a payback of more than 13 years, more if you take maintenance costs into consideration.

NSH dont need any maintenance, they just get on with it.

Do Granny & Grandad need the disruption of the installation, a big tank in the garden together with the aggro of sorting out a tanker run a couple of times a year for no real financial advantage.

If they are happy with NSH then I'd leave them alone
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mister_G wrote: »
    I pay 30ppl for my LPG (as do several others on this forum) which gives me a kWh cost of under 5p. This is cheaper than oil.

It also has the advantage that it's cleaner and not so easy to steal!

Yes, but the folks that sell LPG are rumoured to be thieves ... ;)

:D
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    J_B wrote: »
    Yes, but the folks that sell LPG are rumoured to be thieves ... ;)

:D

Tell me about it - I used to be with Calor and paying 55ppl!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure