Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    martindow wrote: »
    Have you checked that it is covered? Carriers have lots of exclusions but will happily accept the premium for insuring it. Have a read through here

http://www.dpd.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.jsp

If, for example, your item was considered as antique it would not be covered.

Also better to ensure the op checks transglobals T&Cs.
    Often differ from the carrier direct.
  • What's the cheapest way to post from the US to the UK please? 14cm x 14cm x 10cm weight 1kg.
  • HHNN
    HHNN Posts: 15 Forumite
    I know this site is about saving money but Martin also has a good reputation for championing underdogs. Any idea how I can find out which courier firms treat their people fairly?
    :grouphug:
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    HHNN wrote: »
    I know this site is about saving money but Martin also has a good reputation for championing underdogs. Any idea how I can find out which courier firms treat their people fairly?
    :grouphug:

None of them. Couriers are there to make money, not treat people fairly. The courier business is cut throat and so there is not wiggle room to treat employees well. Royal Mail probably treats employees the best because it used to be public owned and so has the shackles of that and a strong union to keep it in check.

Out of all the couriers my business deals with, DPD always seems the happiest and moans the least about the company.
  • AFixhold
    AFixhold Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 July 2017 at 3:25PM
    Occasionally I use alternative services such as Poland mail forwarding or Polish post office box on Fiverr.
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I admit to not having read through all 50 odd pages on this topic.

But I spotted that he very first entry (five years ago) was to say how poor My Hermes was then. I see that people are still saying much the same in recent days- but I would imagine there will have been both positive as well as negative responses in between.

I dropped my 5kg parcel off at my local Hermes collection shop in Devon at 4.30pm two days ago. I've just checked the tracking page (which works easily and efficiently) and it has shown the progress right up to the point of signature at 11 o'clock this morning at the other end, in Milton Keynes. That was pretty good in my opinion.

Including the fee for the signature it cost £6.79p. (No additional insurance was purchased|).

Royal Mail would have been £14.85 (second class signed for) or £16.85 (first class signed for) with no additional insurance.

No complaints here.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I admit to not having read through all 50 odd pages on this topic.

But I spotted that he very first entry (five years ago) was to say how poor My Hermes was then. I see that people are still saying much the same in recent days- but I would imagine there will have been both positive as well as negative responses in between.

I dropped my 5kg parcel off at my local Hermes collection shop in Devon at 4.30pm two days ago. I've just checked the tracking page (which works easily and efficiently) and it has shown the progress right up to the point of signature at 11 o'clock this morning at the other end, in Milton Keynes. That was pretty good in my opinion.

Including the fee for the signature it cost £6.79p. (No additional insurance was purchased|).

Royal Mail would have been £14.85 (second class signed for) or £16.85 (first class signed for) with no additional insurance.

No complaints here.

Problem is that people only post when they are unhappy. If you tried to find a courier based on online reviews you'd be forced to deliver it yourself. I have sent 1000s of parcels with My Hermes and rarely have a problem.
  • Same story for me. Said that no-one was home???? Person waiting. Courier they used did not attempt to leave message.This was May 11th.I eventually received the package back on July 29th via MYHERMES. PARCL2GO HAVE agreed to refund my costs but what about the non-receiver. How upset is he?
    You may draw your own conclusions about PARCEL2GO. It is an internet call centre organisation with scripted replies to your questions. They prevaricate and avoid any truth because they do not know where your package actually is!. You have no access via telephone in case of lost items and they did not know who was the courier in Spain who had attempted to deliver. Good luck.
  • Tagatose
    Tagatose Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    myHermes is doing a summer sale right now

9gBb7obhSReNovYA2i1xPA.jpeg
  • I have just read through the Cheap Parcel Delivery page for help with sending an 8kg package within the UK using drop-off and deliver. While the general advice and links are still valid and helpful, I found that the specific advice is out of date and no longer useful. I found the cheapest deal was DPD via Parcel2Go (£5.89 inc VAT), The second best was UPS via ParcelsPlease (£7.98). The featured company ParcelHero was £8.96 (or £8.25 for first-time users with the 8% MSE discount). Given the difficulty in keeping price information updated, I think it would be more helpful simply to list the companies likely to give best value, with working links, and let the users check them out for ourselves.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback