First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
of all time

Just saw one yesterday and it looked ridiculous

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 October 2014 at 1:23PM
    I think the theory is that the human eye responds to the curve better than a flat screen, and it's more immersive.
    It's the same sort of reason the Imax screens are curved.

Having said that, it does require you to sit in the right area in front of the screen to get the best affect.

As for waste of money, I guess it depends if you need a screen that big (IIRC they currently tend to be top of the range big screens), but the price is likely to drop if they do reasonably well in that sector of the market (at the moment the manufacturing method is still fairly new/low volume, but if it reaches a certain point it probably won't cost much more than a flat screen).

At the moment a fair number of PC gamers get a similar affect by using 3 monitors on triple monitor stand (or just a wide desk), to give them a very widescreen display that curves around their vision, and the likes of stock brokers and programmers do the same because they can take in the information from multiple screens with very little head movement.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Saw a 55" Samsung curved screen OLED set last weekend - the picture was outstanding...................but so was the price tag:eek:
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nilrem wrote: »

the likes of stock brokers and programmers do the same because they can take in the information from multiple screens with very little head movement.

I have multiple screens set like this at work for this very reason.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I have not see one in the flesh to judge fully but I personally like the look of them.
  • I think they look great, I am not sure I'd buy one at the current price tag!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Had this conversation with OH just the other day.

He is impressed as he always is with new technology (a man thing?) whilst I think it is just a ploy to sell more tellys.

Surely not everyone in the room will get a good view of a curved screen?

Anyway......we wont be having one. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Indeed they are, closely followed by 4K and 3D.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Disagree on 4K, pending getting it broadcast to us. We've got screens for under £2,000, record it on a £600 smartphone, but transmission is holding us back, just like with HD. The picture is noticeably better than HD, but then I've had arguments with people on here telling me they couldn't tell the difference between SD and HD.
    Free eye tests people!
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    4k will probably become mainstream in Computer displays, then hit the TV's as the manufacturers get the price down (which is basically what happened with HD flatscreens), as computer displays are typically higher quality, but smaller than the TV's so the companies can play around with the tech cheaper on the PC market* (the only major difference between a lot of TV's these days and the PC monitors is the input board and built in speakers).

4K can be done via satellite with the right codec.
    There is at least one that can do it in about the same bitrate as the main HD codec, but requires a lot more processing power on the decoder unit as there aren't many dedicated chips yet** so it's usually done via software on either the main CPU or with some acceleration from the GPU.
    It could also probably be done via disc, but it would be expensive (multi layer blu-ray discs), and can be done via a good BB connection to a PC (IIRC the codecs can do it at about 30-50mbs).

It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a new generation of receivers within about 10 years that moved us over to a better codec for all HD transmissions and allowed for some 4k content.

*For example computer displays often allow you to choose if you want best refresh rate, best colour reproduction, best viewing angle, best resolution for the size (or generally a combination of 2 or 3 of the above) depending on which tech is used in the panel.
    The likes of the Nexus 7 2013 and Ipad retina displays are already at a pixel density that if used on a larger display could probably do 4k at 20-24 inches (and PC graphics cards are already at the point where they could probably cope with it for video playback fairly cheaply).

**Again expect it to hit PC's first, as with things like the codec used by blu-ray players the hardware was often built into cheapish videocards long before the blu-ray players become cheap (and many PC's before that could do it via CPU).
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 October 2014 at 10:11PM
    I've seen the picture on a 4k TV and it looked stunning. Mind you, so was the price. I agree with Nilrem in regard to its future development and I think that unlike the fad that is/was 3D, 4k is here to stay. The prices will start to come down one day but for now, not very MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure