Can I call orange on 150 from abroad and will there be a fee?

fizzyfozzy
fizzyfozzy Posts: 18 Forumite
I need to get roaming switched on on my mobile but i'm already abroad. My boyfriend (who is also with orange) is already activated so can I call 150 from his mobile to get it sorted? Will we be charged as we are abroad or is it free as usual?
Thanks

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Depends of where you are, western Europe, maybe.
    Also, it can take ages for the sim updates to get to you if your out of the country, its always better to get it done before you leave.
  • Petlamb
    Petlamb Posts: 922
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    to be honest, if you're already out of the country i wouldnt bother even calling as its pretty likely not to work - the phone cant get a signal where you are (as it doesnt have roaming) and that is what it needs to receive the sim update for roaming.
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • According to Orange price guide it is free from anywhere in the world. I've just asked the customer service lady and she confirmed it.

to download the Orange price guide, just google "orange price guide" and it will take you right through to it.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    It may be free to call, but if you aren't set up to roam, how will it connect?
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

As for setting up roaming, yes it's easier to do it before leaving the country but quite possible to do once overseas. Your phone doesn't need the SIM updates in order to connect to a foreign network - that is something setup on the network itself.

So the normal sequence of events would be...

Roaming activated on account, SIM Updates received and account updated.

If you're abroad already..

Roaming activated, potentially a 24hour (but most likely within 2) wait for activation to be complete, attach to foreign network, receive SIM Updates.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    japitts wrote: »
    Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers

It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
    I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...
  • japitts
    japitts Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
    I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...

But that's the point - you don't need the SIM Updates in order to attach to the foreign network. In fact they're - technically - irrelevant in order to roam.

I know the CS Intranet won't say this - it can't, and it's certainly better to get roaming done before travelling. All I'm saying is, it is perfectly possible to do it from abroad and the SIM Updates aren't important.
  • Jon_01
    Forumite
    But if roaming isn't on the acc the phone might very well attach but calling won't work (well, sometimes it might as I see in the dept where I work now)...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure