PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• Ive been looking since aug. Have buyer for mine. Saw one i liked. As this first time selling after 30yr in same house and going alone this time i have no clue. I listened to wrong advice i feel from friends family where making offer was concern. It was first and now have agreed same as anuva offer. Its now up to vendor. I feel this is a mistake i need to learn by for next time
  • copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    You're in a good position if your house is under offer though sukavi. Hopefully the vendor will chose you! Do you wish your offer had been higher?
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • Yes i do copper and what was worse i had missed a call from EA that would have given me the option to put it right. Oh well we live n learn i guess.
  • copperjar
    sukavi2011 wrote: »
    Yes i do copper and what was worse i had missed a call from EA that would have given me the option to put it right. Oh well we live n learn i guess.

Can't you increase your offer now?
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • kilby_007 wrote: »
    We've got a fairly rigid set of criteria (we're Kirsty & Phil's worst nightmare) so we're quite limited. Whenever a property comes up I check things in the following order:-

1) Check the area - we are looking at 4 quite specific areas in the catchment of good schools and near to the villages, so this further reduces the pool of properties.

2) Satellite view - how big is the garden in relation to the house - is there potential to expand and still have a good sized garden, workshop and greenhouse?

3) Floorplan - is it workable? We saw a property last month where the photos looked lovely but the floorplan was contrary (triangle and 'L' shaped rooms and botched extensions) so we knew it was a write off (although as we were desperate we did view it, just confirmed our thoughts!)

4) Value for money - taking the above into account.

5) Flood risk. This was the subject of considerable research with our most recent viewing.

6) Photos - quite low down on the list and we take very little notice of them because they can be vastly misleading (wide angle lenses allow you to see the whole room or garden but also make them look astronomically large!) but sometimes careful scrutinisation will flag up something major which you can then check out when viewing.

Ultimately the satellite view rules out an awful lot of houses for us due to the plot size which is why it's so high up on my list when searching. To answer your question, there's a couple of properties that fall into the "maybe" category that we could go and see, but they are vastly overpriced and in need of renovation, so it feels like a pointless exercise because we'd need them to come down 15-20% to make them worth the effort.

You're not going to get value for money in the market of low supply.
    Especially with that criteria.

No one is ready to sell at a lower price because of low interest rates at this moment in time.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Slinky wrote: »
    We've got a viewing on a property on Saturday. EA phoned me today to warn me it would be going up as sold on RM as the vendor has received an acceptable offer today, but wants to wait to see what we may offer as we're in a very good position (cash buyer, not selling to buy).

Not much pressure to make a decision then.....

Took a look at the property today - went early before our viewing as the EA was only able to give us a 15 mins slot. In the end we cancelled the viewing without looking inside as the property didn't grab us and there were potential neighbour issues.

So our search continues. Can't see anything happening until next year now.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Our second offer got rejected. Been told the estate agent did their best to persuade them that it was a very good offer. I feel a bit gutted now. There is no way the property is worth the £200,000 they are asking for. Very similar houses are selling for £15,000 cheaper on the same street. However, there is just something about this house that grabs us and makes us feel it would be the perfect home for us. I have been told they would take £195,000 (second offer was £191,000). It would be so easy to offer the extra £4000 but I really know it is not worth it. I don't know if to be cheeky and offer £192,500 or just forget it and keep searching! Each week that passes, the more down hearted I get about the whole process. I just feel we need our own house now. Good luck to everybody else!
  • copperjar
    It's a tough one pixarfan. If you love it that much then a final best offer might be the way to go. I know what you mean about not paying over the odds though. One we offered on a while back is still on the market. No way will they get what they are asking for. Luckily we found another one we loved even more.
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • kamdeux
    kamdeux Posts: 25 Forumite
    PixarFan - If you feel that is the place for you then try them at 193k and see, we are just coming to the end of our 1st purchase and I'm pretty sure it is 10k over what we should be paying but nothing else has come up that we like as much and we just want on with life so made the choice to stick with it as it ticks all the other boxes.

If your budget will allow it and you feel strongly about the place then for the sake of a few k you may need to just view it as a fe k in rent saved from looking for x more months and a price worth paying to move on in your lives as for us the lack of space and a young son has been causing real problems so despite my reservations over the price it is worth it to sort out the other issues.

Either way, hope it works out for you. I never realised how stressful trying to buy a house was and I'm pretty sure I don't want to move again after this!!
  • PixarFan
    PixarFan Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thank you for your messages, I really appreciate it. I have been thinking about it all weekend, and I think I am going to ring up tomorrow and offer £192,500. It will be my last offer, but just for £1,500 extra, it will be worth it - that is if they accept!! I have two weeks off work now, so it will be pretty handy if it is accepted, then I can use this two weeks to get the ball rolling (even though I have no idea where to start haha!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure