My dog had cardiac arrest in small cage at vets after 14 hours

Options

Comments

• telboy82
    telboy82 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    iammumtoone,
    Yes you are correct, thats what i like the truth in the way you put it across,
    as Aristotle said "an educated mind can entertain a thought without accepting it"

I dont think it will go to court as it seems the vets are always right, its just the truth, it seems that no matter what they do its always in the animals best interest, and I truly hope it is, but we have to be honest and recognize that not every vet is up to standard, either with equipment or vets and nurses, there are obviously some people out there that arent great with animals like the assistant who tried dragging my dog by his throat collar, ive neer man handled an animal like that so id not expect a professional to do so, that did shock me at first that was the first time I ever see one of my pets get handled rough.
    So if I make a complaint it may make the RCV pay a visit and maybe make them raise their standards, thats all they wont loose out either way and if anything does come of that its only a positive all round for the reputation of the vet and the animals they treat, it wouldnt be public so nobody would know about it.

If I take them court which is highly unlikely now because id have what seems like the world against me and very powerful experienced people in the courtroom, they would turn me over with no proof and witnesses to back up any allegations of neglect and misconduct, id never walk in to something I couldnt walk out of or have a good chance at winning, but I feel a complaint to RVC may filter down and help get the vets to raise their standards, as someone said there may have been other tests that could have been done, maybe they need help getting more or better equipment.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now I'm puzzled.
    Charities like the PDSA have their own clinics and hospitals, but in areas where they don't have premises, they subcontract private vets who charge the charity's prices (usually a donation) to people who are entitled because of income.

Did you use the charity facility at the vets (ie just pay a small donation) or did you use the vet in his capacity of a private practice ?

The former should only happen if you are entitled to help and the vet would not be able to give a full range of facilities (eg MRI as previously mentioned) because the charity cannot afford to pay for such.

However, if you used the vet in a private capacity, because you do not qualify for charity help, the charity usage is irrelevant and you get the service you are willing to pay for, but not at charity rates.
  • telboy82
    Options
    Yes the later option, I paid as if it were a private vet so charged their full costs always have done there. Myself and my wife both work so we dont qualify for any help with anything, we try not to also and always pay our way.
  • telboy82
    Options
    Apparently because we inherited the dog at a young age and he was already a patient there from a family member who was the first owner he can stay a patient there but we still have to pay full charges, also if you adopt you can have the animal there as a patient, depending on circumstances id imagine some people get cheaper treatment but me and my wife we have always paid full costs.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you inherited the dog, so didn't buy him. Yet in a previous post you were threatening to sue the vet for the cost of the dog.

If you complain to the RCVS you will need to show that the vet has failed to adhere to the RCVS Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Surgeons or in the case of the nurse, the RCVS Code of Professional Conduct for Veterinary Nurses. There is no guarantee the RCVS will visit the premises.

If you do complain, make your complaint concise and stick to the facts, leave the emotion at home.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • telboy82
    Options
    I bought the dog for the family member as he grew he was given back to me as me and my wife were looking after him very regularly, so I did pay for him.
  • Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Seems like you make it up as you go along.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 April 2017 at 2:47PM
    Options
    telboy82 wrote: »
    Apparently because we inherited the dog at a young age and he was already a patient there from a family member who was the first owner he can stay a patient there but we still have to pay full charges, also if you adopt you can have the animal there as a patient, depending on circumstances id imagine some people get cheaper treatment but me and my wife we have always paid full costs.

You do realise that the "full cost" was still at a much reduced price than regular vets as you were using charity vets
    I do wish when I took my dog on and moved from London that I looked for a private vets and paid more for treatment,.

You are making stories and forget what you written and where/when.
  • Shoshannah
    Shoshannah Posts: 667 Forumite
    Options
    Ok sorry ive been away but one poster was right, within half a day of him dying I did come here worked up and upset blaming the vet, I apologize for this I should of waited I can understand how me coming here with such a subject and what I said would upset people, I promise that was never my intention, out of the shock and pain I needed people to talk, and hopefully find some find some guidance, I thank you all for your input and questions, some question are hard to answer so il try my best. Lets continue...

Also yes the dog get did ill my care, I believe throwing up his breakfast was what made him il, no underlying issues what so ever were found, he was in my care for around 6 1/2 hours and his condition didnt deteriorate in that time, he was very thirsty and lethargic but because of being sick and not having enough water in his body, he hadnt drunk after his breakfast yet and not since the evening before, just the small amounts I was letting him have after being sick, as I said before I was giving him water which he was happy to drink but I didnt want to give him too much until the vet saw him, I didnt rush him to an emergency vet before this because of the trust at our vets and he wasnt deteriorating while I was watching him and letting him drink small amounts of water, so in my mind he was stable and fine just thirsty and lethargic from being sick, but wanted him checked over to make sure.
    But lets clear up about this money talk, I can raise and investigation with RVC and I intend to, this will cost me nothing, but from what I can find its very unlikely that will find any mis conduct at all as to be honest vets can literally get away with anything, and im sorry accidents happen isnt quite fair, If I did take the vets to court to claim all that im able to claim is what I paid or him, the cost of that treatment and his cremation, and any days holiday my wife has lost last week and this week if lucky, so in all it does not make sense to make a claim because if I lose and have to pay their fees it could cost me tens of thousands of pounds, has this scared me off? not yet, and this is exactly how and why nothing gets changed, I think the dogs welfare acts go back to 1966 and many people are trying to get it updated.

I believe which most likely can never be confirmed is that after he was sick bringing up his entire breakfast which also emptied his stomach of any remaining water in the food,cause a reaction called "Hypernatraemia", now this is caused by a water and sodium imbalance, this can be caused by a dog licking table salt which raise his levels of sodium which is dangerous and needs water fluids to correct the balance.
    My dog i believe had a water im balance from being sick, this also happens when a dog has diarrhea and loses lots of water, they need the balance correcting, either by removing sodium from the animal or adding water, firstly by offering water orally if its the water they need, i they cant drink then water solution 5% dextrose or similar but its water.
    So after telling the vet he had been sick his whole breakfast and and only had small amounts of water, and you can clearly see his thirsty and ive told them his thirsty, id assume even they would conclude the dog needs water regardless and should of been considered, thats what they treated him for last time, water loss.
    So if there are any vets on here id like them to answer this, if you know a dog has no water and been sick all his meal would assume of your extensive costly training that my dog needed more water in his body or more salt? in fact I bet from that information alone even some the other readers here would say he needed water, just an assumption, also lets not forget that when administering IV fluids its important to get the correct fluid or you will not help matters just make them worse causing more serious injuries and pain and death, now before using these fluids you are supposed to carry out the standard blood tests and most importantly the Biochemistry Profile test that all vets carry out, this test is easy to and is vital it can pin point where to treat an animal most times and also tells you all the body chemical levels like Salt etc, this test would o said if my dog needed water or salt, it would of told them enough to sae my dog im sure.
    Well the form says a "Biochemistry not available as blood machine unable to read sample when pcv too high".
    Seriously they they are saying no reading because he had too many red blood sell, thats a joke right, there machine couldnt get a blood reading, that is a very important piece o equipment i cant understand how it cant get a reading. This test has a extremly high this is what is said about this simple basic test:

Description: The serum chemistry profile is one of the most important initial tests that is commonly performed. A blood sample is collected from the patient. The blood is then separated into a cell layer and serum layer by spinning the sample at high speeds in a machine called a centrifuge. The serum layer is drawn off and a variety of compounds are then measured. These measurements aid in assessing the function of various organs and body systems.
    Diagnostic Value: Very high. Sometimes a specific diagnosis may be made on the basis of a blood chemistry profile alone. More often than not, however, the profile provides information on a variety of body organs and systems, giving the doctor an indication of where a problem might be located. The profile can be extremely helpful in determining which of the many other diagnostic tests might be beneficial.
    Risks to Patient: Virtually none, provided that the blood is collected under sterile conditions by a trained professional.
    Relative Cost: Relatively low when a group of test are run as one panel.

So anyway ok the machine doesnt work so she had to make a decision on fluids to use, not try a bowl of water first, going back over everything that she clearly didnt listen tome she made the clever decision to put him on fluids anyway.
    He is given fluids to correct his imbalance they are two 1litre bags are " Aqupharm no1" which is sodium chloride "NaCl high rate" its safe to say he wasnt getting his water and that sodium overload was of caused him much pain even death.

Lets talk about pain, so to sedate my dog they used a opium based painkiller called "Vetergesic" my dog has never had this, this wasnt to relieve pain it was to sedate him, why not use a mild sedative, this drug is very strong look it up vets having been causing animal deaths all over the country with this drug, its opium based and very addictive from the first use, most dogs ive read about get one injection and hit the deck struggling to breath and move some get put down not long after some takes weeks to recover and never quite the same, my dog had 6 injections at east on his form I just need to get the total doses, also these opium type drugs should not be mixed so after having all this one type of opioid drug a fair amount of it why inject him with a different type of opioid drug "Methadome" at 2am and leave him until he was found dead at 6am, mixing these drugs together would of been fighting each other in his body causing all kinds of reactions in his body.
    They also gave him "ranitidine" this isnt even a drug approved for animals its called zantac, its for treating ulcers and stops the stops the stomach producing acid. Problem is no acid in the stomach means he can absorb drugs from his stomach and why give him this anyway. I could say more about these drugs but its easy to lok up and I could be forever explaining why I think these drugs shouldnt of been used, especially the IV fluids. I dont know what the post mortem report will have on it, its inconclusive but at least its done, and know they couldnt find anything wrong with him, Its obvious he didnt get the care he needed through negligence and mis conduct and was clearly misdiagnosed and his welfare suffered because of this, so thats all I can write or now I may not reply straight away it may even take a few day until ive got the autopsy report in hand and all the correct doses, hopefully they will tell me this when I ask tomorrow, so I think even when ive got all his information about his treatment and doses together there will be a long letter to the vets and RVC, making a complaint first, up until that time il keep seeking advice, if there is a case which im feeling there is then they need to be pursued as we are no longer living in 1966 and no animal deserves to be treated like it is.

I'm so sorry your dog passed away.

A lot of what you have written here is medically inaccurate, however.

If this did get as far as court, an expert witness would absolutely rip this to shreds, I'm sorry.
  • telboy82
    Options
    Firstly, pop up pirate, and gettingready, go elsewhere if your going to say im making it up as I go along, its an awful lot of effort to go through and still be going through if I were simply just making it up as I went along. I paid for the dog for a family member and was his carer as I lived in the same property untill I moved out and I adopted him as I left london. the vets he was registered at by the registered owner at the time who I bought the dog for were happy to keep him on even though we adopted him and moved out the area, even though its a charity vet, every vets prices are different and yes although I may have paid at slightly reduced rate than a full on private vet, I still pay for a service, I am in the process of finding vets to talk to about this, I do believe I have the right to an expert witness as well, and if after all the information has been discussed and they think differently about the situation, then we will see. But im still here im not going to go anywhere because anyone wants to say im making up a story.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure