PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sibling House Purchase.

Options
I’m currently renting but don’t want to purchase a house at the moment. My sister however is looking to move out but doesn’t have enough of a deposit but could afford the mortgage payments on a flat.
What’s my best option here?
Should I purchase the flat as a first time buyer and pay the deposit. Then receive rental from my sister (she would actually pay the mortgage). I’d get a better interest rate than her but lose my first time buyer status (not sure that will make a difference as any help to buy scheme’s won’t be used for my own purchase as the property value is to low) and then have to declare the rental income.
Or do I gift payment her the deposit, let her get the mortgage and take advance of any first time buyer scheme plus pay the mortgage. If at any point in-time the property is sold can I then get money back from my sister as a gift payment, therefore avoiding any income tax?
Rgds,

Comments

• simon_reed
    Options
    No reason. just thought my money would be better invested in a flat than the bank.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    simon_reed wrote: »
    I’m currently renting but don’t want to purchase a house at the moment. My sister however is looking to move out but doesn’t have enough of a deposit but could afford the mortgage payments on a flat.
    What’s my best option here?
    YOUR best option, or hers?

Should I purchase the flat as a first time buyer and pay the deposit. Then receive rental from my sister (she would actually pay the mortgage). I’d get a better interest rate than her
    I suspect the rate you'd get for a BTL mortgage would NOT be better than the rate she could get on a residential mortgage.

Don't forget the tax you'd have to pay on the rent(mortgage payments) you receive.

Do you want to be a landlord? See link below.

but lose my first time buyer status (not sure that will make a difference as any help to buy scheme[STRIKE][/STRIKE]s won’t be used for my own purchase as the property value is too low) and then have to declare the rental income.
    Ah! Good. Well spotted!

Or do I gift payment her the deposit, let her get the mortgage and take [STRIKE]advance[/STRIKE]advantage? of any first time buyer scheme plus pay the mortgage. If at any point in[STRIKE]-[/STRIKE]time the property is sold can I then get money back from my sister as a gift payment, therefore avoiding any income tax?
    Rgds,
    Yes you can get it back providing she pays it! Or you could place a Charge on the property ensuring it is paid back when sold, just like a mortgage, though her mortgage lender may not like you gifting it to her.

No, repayment of a gift would not be taxable as income.

* New landlords: advice, information & links
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like a big mess in the making. Steer clear.
  • simon_reed
    Options
    Best for both of us. She wants to move out. I want to get on the property market.

She can afford to rent somewhere but can't purchase.

I can't afford currently to purchase the +750K house I want but have cash sitting in the bank doing nothing.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it possible (work etc), for your sister to live with you?

Could you buy a property large enough for you to share and not charge her rent, ( only half of the bills), thus enabling her to save a deposit for a place of her own?

You could then sell the flat when you are in a position to afford the property you want.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This idea comes under never rent to family or friends. If you want to remain on speaking terms with your sister it would be better for her to save up for her own deposit.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It does sound like a disaster waiting to happen. No matter how amicable you are with your sister now, that could change horribly in the future, particularly where money and someones home is involved.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    simon_reed wrote: »

Should I purchase the flat as a first time buyer and pay the deposit. Then receive rental from my sister (she would actually pay the mortgage). I’d get a better interest rate than her

have you looked at deposit requirements and interest rates for Regulated Loans? (you would need this rather than a regular Buy to Let Mortgage)
    You may find that when she has saved, she would need a lower deposit and get a better rate as a residential mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure