PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Had the windows closed in the bedroom last night as it was chilly but no condensation this morning, massively dewy on the lawns though and the snails have been partying on the outsides of the kitchen and lounge windows facing the back garden. Doesn't happen on the rest of the windows, most perplexing!!!
  • I'd say it was the fleece curtains I added but I didn't add them to all the windows - and one of the windows I added them to doesn't have condensation on it. All the vents are open. The big bay window has condensation on it and I've done nothing to that window at all - has the same curtains it's had on it for weeks.

I have a tumble dryer (the kind with the drawer you empty water from) but I've had that since July, and been using it the same amount.

I'm baffled. Am I going to need to look into a dehumidifier? Or simply keep the heat on now? I open the bathroom window regularly during the day, plus there's an extractor fan that's on pretty much all the time. The kitchen extractor runs when I'm cooking.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • We run with windows open all over during the day and even in anything except the depths of winter will flick open the small windows to ventilate the house. I don't have a tumble dryer but I do dry washing in the utility room as we have a massive old floor standing boiler which generates lots of heat so it's ideal conditions to dry washing, there is a vent to the outside in that room because it's a gas boiler. We also don't run the central heating to heat the house since we had the wood stove installed, the boiler only comes on twice a day for an hour each time to heat the water in the tank in the airing cupboard. We're as insulated as we can be, cavity walls, loft, double glazing etc. other than stopping breathing ourselves (not an option) I can't think of anything else that could be done to prevent condensation indoors. Not usually a problem here BUT one year we DID get condensation and mould on the upstairs ceilings and the cause of that was a top up of insulation in the loft that went right to the edges of the loft floor and just wasn't letting the house breathe, we pulled the insulation back by an inch or so so that it wasn't touching the outside walls and the condensation stopped, might that be a cause of yours?
  • I'm in a flat in a large house (divided into 4 flats). I'd ask the previous tenant (we moved in this summer), however, she was less than honest about other problems with the flat that we found out about after moving in (was a council swap), so I wouldn't expect to get straight answers from her either unfortunately.

I've wiped down the windows and turned on the heater, double checked all the vents. I took down the fleece for now, and will see how things go over the next few days. If the condensation is still there without the fleece up, then clearly it's got nothing to do with the fleece.

I'm browsing online for a dehumidifier as I'd already been considering one anyway as we sometimes hang clothing to dry up in the bathroom and I do worry about damp. We had it really bad with black mould and a rotting wall in a previous flat. I had been going crazy trying to sort it, and then we found out it was because of a plumbing error in the wall that was allowing water to drip into the wall cavity! (relieved it wasn't my fault, but took ages to get repaired as they kept insisting we weren't being careful enough to prevent damp even though I knew we were!)

I've found one I like but it's £179. Ouch!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Pennydropped - if you have new DG windows the condensation should be on the OUTSIDE not the inside unless ventilation is the issue.

Basic things like making sure the bathroom door is kept closed when in use, the extractor (if there is one) is used, and the window is opened after use. Drying in there could be a problem, but if you can leave the heat on and the window open and then close the door (and make sure you have spun as much moisture out as possible) then that will help reduce the problem.

If the problem persists, a window vac may help with clearing the condensation from the windows.

I'm running two dehumidifiers at the moment to remove the last traces of a couple of renovation-related leaks. Both were pretty basic DIY store purchases. One has no ID but the other is a DeLonghi. The tanks are pretty small and need emptying fairly regularly, but they're good enough.

The point Mrs LW makes about loft insulation is an important one too. If you're on the top floor and can access the loft, it's worth checking.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    condensation needs two things, moisture filled air and a cold surface. Get rid of either and condensation stops. Moisture in the air can come from many causes, breathing, cooking, paraffin and portable gas heaters, drying washing indoors, bathing etc Shut kitchen doors when cooking, bathroom doors when washing, put lids on cooking pans.

Ventilation is also key and air needs space to circulate, doors need to be open and vents open. Blinds and curtains will make the windows stay colder and so there will be condensation on those windows. Check that all the ventilators are uncovered, many people block them. Air temperature needs to be increased a little
  • I'm on the bottom floor, no access to the loft unfortunately.

Looking at ventilation, here's where we sit:
    - all vents open in all windows
    - bathroom window open during day, door closed (has been like the that whole time we've been here, this is the first day I've seen condensation on the windows)
    - extractor fan in bathroom running pretty much 24/7
    - run extractor fan in kitchen when cooking
    - couple curtains/lining added, but some windows that had curtains added didn't have condensation and some that have had the same curtains on for weeks DID have condensation.
    - all windows that have condensation have a radiator under them
    - have been only putting on heater for a short time each day to take the chill off.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,073
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pennydropped - as Kittie says, it's the temperature difference. Do you know what your indoor temperature is?
  • I think it's sitting at about 21/22 at the moment.
  • warm air, from the radiators, is rising to hit the ceiling and curl back into the room. The rising warm air is dragging cold air, from low down as is denser, the cold air is warming up and the cycle continues. That cold air is releasing its moisture onto the windows. There isn`t enough warmth transformation to absorb the water being released. You need to keep that window warmer ie plug gaps around the frame, use bubble wrap, window cushions, even cling film (obviously when v cold) stretched over the windows. Keep an eye on outside and inside humidity, worth buying a small cheap meter. Use longer curtains tucked down behind the radiator, that will help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback