Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• facade wrote: »
    Looks like about time you got a bike camera.
    Then you can report the cars throwing stuff for littering, with video evidence.

You'll never get any dangerous driving or assault charges to stick (didn't know there was a cyclist there), but littering will. ;)

I wish I was 18 again, I'd just jump my 'bike onto cars parked in the cycle lane and ride over them. :D

Funnily enough I have one now :D

My main ambitition is to catch out that bus driver. His attitude toward cyclists is awful.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have had a Porsche driver in a queue pull over to block the cycle lane to prevent me overtaking me. I got off my bike, walked past him on the path, got back on and carried on.
    It's funny how many seem to do this. Not sure if it's because I'm a cyclist as well but I'm very aware of other road users. I actually do the opposite and if I see a bike or motorcyclist in my mirror I'll move over to give extra space as they pass. Most signal their appreciation. Other drivers behave as per your example but as far as I'm concerned we're all equally entitled to use the road and have the least impeded journey
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Most likely, after following the cycle for 2 miles at 12mph, they have finally got a safe overtake, leaving enough space, now the lights have gone red, and the cyclist is about to get up the inside of them, wobble over the stop line and force them into either another 2 miles of 12mph, or a dangerous overtake if their patience has run out.

I pull right over to the left if I'm the second or third car at the lights (but I don't block cycle lanes), 40 feet further back isn't going to affect Mr 12mph much, but being in front of him can take 5 or 10 minutes off my journey, and get me out of 2nd gear.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    facade wrote: »
    Most likely, after following the cycle for 2 miles at 12mph, they have finally got a safe overtake, leaving enough space, now the lights have gone red, and the cyclist is about to get up the inside of them, wobble over the stop line and force them into either another 2 miles of 12mph, or a dangerous overtake if their patience has run out.

I pull right over to the left if I'm the second or third car at the lights (but I don't block cycle lanes), 40 feet further back isn't going to affect Mr 12mph much, but being in front of him can take 5 or 10 minutes off my journey, and get me out of 2nd gear.

Nice to read a motorist comment on the thread. good to learn your a safe driver, most actually are, especially as motorists are displaying a clear registration number.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

if cars pull far left to block cyclists i just pass on the offside instead
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nice to read a motorist comment on the thread. good to learn your a safe driver, most actually are, especially as motorists are displaying a clear registration number.

Moving to the left to block a legally filtering cyclist is not good or safe driving. As stated by various others, we're on bike for goodness sake, I can just go around you to the right or hop on the pavement and off again, you don't achieve anything by doing it.

A slow cyclist is no different from some old guy in a Rover 25 doing 30 in a 60mph limit during rush hour except it's easier to pass the bike
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:52PM
    Nice to hear what you want to hear?. I'm a motorist. You still haven't explained why you only want to hear from motorists.

On Saturday I overtook a cyclist. Dual carriageway, two lanes each way. I indicated and moved to lane 2 which was empty. The following three cars didn't even cross the white lane separating lines to pass the cyclist despite the empty lane next to them and the near zero effort to use it. Many drivers are oblivious to how unsafe they are. Many are also poor judges of other motorists behavior.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    boliston wrote: »
    if cars pull far left to block cyclists i just pass on the offside instead

Amazingly, this is the side you are supposed to filter past on, then when I open the passenger door [STRIKE]to knock you off for going up the inside[/STRIKE] so my kid can jump out at the lights you are not in danger.

Mr 8-12mph (12mph is a bit generous) won't ever do that though ;)

And yes I do cycle on the road, and as Enterprise reports, in my experience it is the buses that perform the most dangerous overtakes, despite the 360 cameras they are supposed to carry.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Moving to the left to block a legally filtering cyclist is not good or safe driving. As stated by various others, we're on bike for goodness sake, I can just go around you to the right or hop on the pavement and off again, you don't achieve anything by doing it.

But a cyclist taking 'primary' to prevent what he perceives to be an unsafe overtake is good and safe cycling.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Amazingly, this is the side you are supposed to filter past on, then when I open the passenger door [STRIKE]to knock you off for going up the inside[/STRIKE] so my kid can jump out at the lights you are not in danger.

Mr 8-12mph (12mph is a bit generous) won't ever do that though ;)

And yes I do cycle on the road, and as Enterprise reports, in my experience it is the buses that perform the most dangerous overtakes, despite the 360 cameras they are supposed to carry.

The government endorsed "Bikeability" course actually says the bike rider should choose left or right to filter on depending on what they feel is safer. Left is more defensive but puts you in the driver's blind spot, right puts you at risk of oncoming traffic or people suddenly going right e.g. to pull a u-turn if sick of traffic
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure