PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    ...So - it's not just something in the history books then? I have a - vague - recollection that in medieval times people would often tend to just have breakfast and dinner and miss out on lunch (ie as they were working in the fields or the like) - though I couldnt swear to that fact. I thought in modern times everyone ate 3 meals a day - apart from those people who rush out the door to a particularly long day in the office without having breakfast first (with just a cereal bar or "coffee to go" in their hands)...

I think medieval & later workers would have needed 3 good meals to provide the energy for their efforts, certainly those in fields - the Ploughman's Lunch of today is a direct descendant of workers lunches of days gone by.

As for today, I think you will probably find that not "everyone" has 3 meals a day - those dieting, sick, elderly or in poverty, as well as those whose time does not allow a break would not. Your 2-meal days are not a rarity on here, so taking this as a sample of society as a whole, I would reckon a similar proportion or even greater would suggest your theory to be a bit shaky.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • We decided yesterday to have our hot main meal at lunchtime, for many years when the girls were at school and we worked we've had it in the evening and it's part (I think) of the reason that I don't sleep so well these days. We had sausage pie, potato salad and salad at lunchtime yesterday and then in the evening had a sandwich and home made scone and jam and I had the best nights sleep last night that I've had for some time. That might be a coincidence so I'm not assuming it will always be that way but I didn't wake up in the night with indigestion and an uncomfortable tum. I think eating this way might be better for us both.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Mrs L - think you are right. I don't get a decent night's sleep if I eat late. Although an evening meal suits us better since we retired it's made much earlier than when we were working, usually 5.30ish instead of 7.30ish!! I'm also one who can go all day without eating if I'm busy but tend to nibble in the evenings so you're not alone Monna ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't feel quite so odd now I know other people have changed their mealtimes from the usual 3 a day.

It was also a revelation to me when I stopped eating an evening meal. I used to take G*v*sc*n by the ton halfway through every night. Now I only ever have to take a tablet if I am invited out to dinner. I can't remember the last time I bought a packet.

It's not so warm and sunny today so I will probably get stuck into the ironing pile. I have a friend who does her ironing in the garden on sunny days but I've never really got on with that.

I've promised DS that I will make Toad-in-the-hole for them tonight as it is his all-time favourite. Not sure that DIL is so enamoured but will put up with it occasionally. A few delicious vegetables should sell it to her.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    monnagran wrote: »

All my life I have cooked for multitudes, in home and out of it, and picked, tasted and nibbled all the time. No wonder I resembled Mrs Noah.

x

Sorry, Monnagran, I had to laugh as I remembered Mollie Sugden in the series Come back Mrs Noah. She was accidentally sent into space I think.
    Well done you, for losing the weight.:j
    I've just joined Slimming world, and I am eating more than I used to, but I'm losing weight steadily.
    The trick seems to be that you can have as much fruit, vegetables and protein as you want, and restrict the amount of carbs especially white flour products.
    See, Lyn, back to basic foods!

I believe that you should do whatever works for you, it's not a one size fits all.
    Well done everyone who is winning.:T
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    My mum always had her main meal at lunchtime, and so did all of us apart from my Dad. I was very fit and healthy as a youngster. Now that I work from home, I sometimes have my main at lunchtime, although it's usually something quick like oven cooked fish and chips, or something I froze a portion of when cooking double. I always feel much better for it in the evenings. I don't have three cooked meals a day, hardly ever. Two is enough. Carb overload makes me very sleepy and lazy, and has unfortunate digestive effects too...

In other news, one of my son's friends won a million pounds on a lottery scratchcard on Friday (He is also my friend on FB, such a lovely lad).
    He and his wife are expecting their second child on Thursday, planned delivery. K. also took on his wife's three children from a previous relationship when they got together. Life has been very tough for him.
    K. was worried sick about how he would manage paternity leave and a loss of income at the same time over the next few weeks. Now all that has just been lifted from him in a trice.

The first thing he bought was a seven seater car for family outings. :D
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    In other news, one of my son's friends won a million pounds on a lottery scratchcard on Friday (He is also my friend on FB, such a lovely lad).
    He and his wife are expecting their second child on Thursday, planned delivery. K. also took on his wife's three children from a previous relationship when they got together. Life has been very tough for him.
    K. was worried sick about how he would manage paternity leave and a loss of income at the same time over the next few weeks. Now all that has just been lifted from him in a trice.

The first thing he bought was a seven seater car for family outings. :D

The type of person that deserves to win!
    Must use my stash up!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How wonderful mcculloch :j Just need the same thing to happen to my DD :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    How lovely to hear Mccullock :T:T
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mcculloch: it's so lovely (and unusual) to hear of someone winning that amount of money who not only richly deserves it but has all his priorities right.
    What a blessing for him and his family.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts