Updated Cheap Car Insurance guide - new system

Comments

• rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    zuliano wrote: »
    But from this brief summary, how do you people here think my mum will fare getting a far cheaper quote than £575 quid??
    No-one can tell you that. If you are struggling to help her, is there a local high street broker you/her can walk into and get them to help her?
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    rs65 wrote: »
    No-one can tell you that. If you are struggling to help her, is there a local high street broker you/her can walk into and get them to help her?

How much do they charge? Do you know?
  • shazza71 wrote: »
    my son has been paying £427 a month......... which will save him over £200 a month now :)

Has he priced up taxi's ?

£5K a year ?

:eek:

Assuming he's a tax payer that's like £7.5K before tax ? :eek:
  • zuliano
    zuliano Posts: 105 Forumite
    I am struggling with this trying to find a cheap car insurance for my mum using the comparison sites. She has in a way dumpled this task on me and gets stressed if I ask her for info, but some of the questions I dont know what to tick, yes or no--worrying if I tick the wrong one it will not give good quote. I dont mean I am lying. Take this one:
    "Do you want to protect your no claims bonus?"

Well on my mum's car insurance details it claims that she is "currently entitled to 8 years or more No Claims Bonus"

when i ticked the yes button a popup appeared which said: "No claims Discount Protection: If you protect your no claim discount it wont be reduced regardless of the number claims you make. If you don't protect your no claim discount, it could be reduced of you make a claim. We can only protect your no claims discount if you have four or more years"

So I should click yes then?
  • RNRF
    RNRF Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2013 at 11:52AM
    Hi guys , can i gave your help ?

I'm 24 years old and 5 year driving license , i've a renault clio 1.2 2002 and the best price that i got was 150£/month from churchill , i've a working partner in the same condition of me , 24 years old and 5 year driving license , he got a seat toledo 1.8 2001 and he found a 79£/month from tesco value . Can anyome explain me this ??

He told me that probably i can get a price of around 68£ to my car but I can't find it noway !

(we both dont have NCB because we came from a diferente EU country some months ago)

Can anyone help me with this ?

Cheers
    Ricardo
  • Jamie1989
    Jamie1989 Posts: 27 Forumite
    RNRF wrote: »
    Hi guys , can i gave your help ?

I'm 24 years old and 5 year driving license , i've a renault clio 1.2 2002 and the best price that i got was 150£/month from churchill , i've a working partner in the same condition of me , 24 years old and 5 year driving license , he got a seat toledo 1.8 2001 and he found a 79£/month from tesco value . Can anyome explain me this ??

He told me that probably i can get a price of around 68£ to my car but I can't find it noway !

(we both dont have NCB because we came from a diferente EU country some months ago)

Can anyone help me with this ?

Cheers
    Ricardo

£150 seems an insane amount to pay for car insurance with a 5-year licence at 24. I'm also 24, I only passed my test last year, and although I paid £1300 for my 1st year of insurance, I managed to get this down to £700 this year (annual charge, works out at around £60/month).

I used confused.com to find the quote, and I could have paid as little as £400 for the year, but I'm also a Which? subscriber and they'd flagged Liverpool Victoria (the company I went for) as a decent provider.

I assume you've tried comparison sites, Ricardo? Maybe you need to adjust your excess, etc?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Buy a seat toledo?

It must be less of a risk than a clio. Ive seen more dented clio's than all the seat toledo's i have ever seen. So that maybe why.

The seat is not a best seller.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RNRF
    Jamie1989 wrote: »
    £150 seems an insane amount to pay for car insurance with a 5-year licence at 24. I'm also 24, I only passed my test last year, and although I paid £1300 for my 1st year of insurance, I managed to get this down to £700 this year (annual charge, works out at around £60/month).

I used confused.com to find the quote, and I could have paid as little as £400 for the year, but I'm also a Which? subscriber and they'd flagged Liverpool Victoria (the company I went for) as a decent provider.

I assume you've tried comparison sites, Ricardo? Maybe you need to adjust your excess, etc?

Of course I tried confused.com , on that site the best price I've got was 3216.72£ / year lol , what can it be ? which parameters are the most important ?

Ricardo
  • Jamie1989
    Jamie1989 Posts: 27 Forumite
    RNRF wrote: »
    Of course I tried confused.com , on that site the best price I've got was 3216.72£ / year lol , what can it be ? which parameters are the most important ?

Ricardo

Hmmm... I tried running a quick check with made-up details based on your first post (I didn't use your name!) and got a quote for 1214 for the whole year - but obviously I don't know your exact details like mileage, where your living etc!

Try being conservative with your mileage estimate, and maybe set the voluntary excess at £500? You've probably tried these things but I can't think of anything other than to be as liberal with the details as possible!
  • RNRF
    edited 16 August 2013 at 12:04PM
    I just found something !
    I do not know exactly what I did but i get some nice quotes :

£
    753.84 -> Drive like a girl company
    £
    805.07-> Tesco Bank

I just adjusted the car value and the annual mileage i think.
    Does someone know the "Drive like a girl" company ? Should i choose it or Tesco ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback