47kg Propane Calor Gas Prices - What are you paying?

Comments

• Just moved into a converted barn and needed a 47kg bottle -it lasted 10 days and cost £68 from a petrol station just west of Tetbury, Gloucestershire!
  • daubechie
    daubechie Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 10 December 2012 at 3:20PM
    I have a 47Kg propane cylinder fueled gas fire in my lounge - I don't use it often as I don't watch TV and I just came to order the next bottle - current one has lasted since the new year, so I'm not a big user, and don't use it at all through the summer. It is for heating though - I can barely use the room without the fire on, especially with weather like we have now!

The normal supplier advised me that rather than £55 plus vat for heating price, as I use so little, I will have to pay £91 plus vat!!!

I said that was ridiculous and what was the difference - VAT is still 5% apparently, but it's a user price rather than their central heating price and as I'm such a low user, and have alternative means of heating my water etc, I have to pay the £91. When I was arguing, she agreed to sell me at an Industrial price of £74.05 plus VAT.

I offered to collect it, as perhaps the difference was due to the delivery, but no - tough luck that was her best offer.

Brookers in Hitchin can kiss my a***!
  • We have just paid £175.28 for 2 x 47kg refills, delivered but not connected. They were from Good Tread in Alness!

That breaks down to £84.92 each + 5.44 delivery + 9.00 VAT! They last less than 30 days.
  • bobhawke wrote: »
    Where in Fife and Borders are you two? Those are some silly prices :mad:
    Kingsbarns. That's mid way between Crail and St Andrews. Both Crail and St Andrews have mains gas, but the village here decided in 1964 not to have gas piped to the village, and we're now all paying the price. Literally.

No land to have a gas tank or oil and listed building so options for solar and wind very limited as must not be seen from the road. Very few have sky dishes or outside lighting here because conservation village so need listed buildings consent to do even simple things like paint windows!

Mainly use propane to hear water. Can't afford to use it for heating - it would be gone in a week.
  • Mid Wales, 47 kg delivered is £58.50 January 2013.
  • Mid Wales, 47 kg delivered is £58.50 January 2013.

£58.50?? Geeze, I could get one of those, buy it an EasyJet ticket to Belfast, and still pay less than ordering it locally!! (Now quoted £102 for ONE 47Kg bottle delivered) :rotfl:
  • Got one in belfast for £85 delivered from belfast city fuels. Wouldnt dream of paying as high as £102!!!
  • Wouldnt dream of paying as high as £102!!!

I wouldn't either, which is why I've gone without! Thanks for the tip - will give that company a call...
  • impvan
    impvan Posts: 27 Forumite
    Caernarfon, north wales.

£54 collected, dwyfor oils - but will deliver free.
    £57.70 collection only Beran Filling Station.
  • Rovver125
    Rovver125 Posts: 187 Forumite
    Never realised how much bottled gas prices differed around the country! Some of the prices are scandalous!! Our supplier in Cornwall is currently charging us £49.20 for a 47kg delivered & connected & it's been that price for as long as I can remember now.

They are brilliant, price has barely fluctuated at all in the 2 years we have been living at this property, lowest it's dropped was just over £45 but it's never been higher than £50!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure