New driver questions on clutch help please don't want to burn it out..

Options

Comments

• arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm guessing we have the whole of the 1% of motorists that don't coast at all on this thread.

I, like every driver I've ever seen or known, coast to traffic lights... a danger to other road users my !!!!. If somebody rear ends me it's them that's a danger not me.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My clutch control is as it should be, and I use engine braking where appropriate, however my instructor informed me (3 years ago) that it's no longer taught to move down the gears when you're expecting to come to a dead stop. The reason provided was you'll wear the gearbox out with the increased number/frequency of gear changes, and modern braking system's performance more than compensates for the loss of engine braking compared to older vehicles.

My car certainly wouldn't like it if I decelerated from 50mph in 5th gear to a dead stop without changing down (good) or riding the clutch (bad).

Modern kit is pretty reliable - not only will cars let you change from 5th-3rd-1st without much penalty if you're desperate to save a few changes, but I can rack up 90K of mostly city driving (read - mostly stuck in traffic humming to the radio) changing gears and using the clutch willy nilly and still have the clutch feel as "high" as it did when the car was brand new.

As long as you don't drive like a complete loon (coasting everywhere, practicing clutchless changes for fun, changing from 5th->4th->3rd->2nd->1st in rapid succession when having to break hard on a motorway) most clutches will give years of trusty service.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    I'm guessing we have the whole of the 1% of motorists that don't coast at all on this thread.

I, like every driver I've ever seen or known, coast to traffic lights... a danger to other road users my !!!!. If somebody rear ends me it's them that's a danger not me.

I never coast. However if that happens when coasting you are far more likely to be shunted into a vehicle or person in front. Of course you can't stop someone going into the back of you, but you can prevent further injury to both yourself and other road users by not coasting.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Define coasting ...

The last couple of seconds approaching lights before you come to a stop, wherein you press the clutch and go to neutral from 1st or 2nd and apply the handbrake? Agreed - almost everyone will do this.

Going from, say, 4th gear you press the clutch and coast 50m to the lights before going to neutral and applying the handbrake? No way Jose; this is bad (IMHO).
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 5:05PM
    Options
    if you're in gear and someone rear ends you, engine braking isn't going to be any assistance, it's more likely to propel the car further forward
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Sorry mate but I never do either.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If somebody hits you at the force you suggest what do you think is gonna happen to your foot on the clutch... here's a hint... it's not gonna stay there

Yep, and even for that fraction of a second it's taken to disengage the clutch you've lurched forward with little resistance and your stopping distance will be greater than if you decelerated properly in the first place.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bsod wrote: »
    if you're in gear and someone rear ends you, engine breaking isn't going to be any assistance.

It will compared to not being in gear without the hand brake on as it will reduce the distance the vehicle is shunted and also prevents a stall shunt.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sorry, but you now have to be trolling.
    Why must I be trolling? I have seen very occasionally a gradient sign when I've been on holiday (not me driving), but never seen one that says "Low gear". I didn't realise that was a real picture when you posted it.

I live in Cambridgeshire which is exceptionally flat and has no hills to speak of at all. Why would I have ever seen a sign like that?
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I never coast. However if that happens when coasting you are far more likely to be shunted into a vehicle or person in front. Of course you can't stop someone going into the back of you, but you can prevent further injury to both yourself and other road users by not coasting.
    I'm not gonna change my driving style based on "what if someone rams into me", that's absurd. That is their problem not mine if they go into the back of me.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    It will compared to not being in gear without the hand brake on as it will reduce the distance the vehicle is shunted and also prevents a stall shunt.

if the handbrake is on, and the clutch is up, the car is stalled.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport