Fence ,gates and bad neighbour

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask. We have replaced our old rotting fence and for some reason decided to make a small gates. I was against, but it looks nice. Now, on the other side is a large industrial estate. The gates are opening into our garden, but we always keep it locked and never planned to go out, although there are lots of trading companies and many people on the estate always. Now the manager of the industrial estate wrote us a letter that we gained unauthorised access and gives us 7 days to remove the gates :( I am very upset. What can I do about it? He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    amalis wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope this is the right place to ask. We have replaced our old rotting fence and for some reason decided to make a small gates. I was against, but it looks nice. Now, on the other side is a large industrial estate. The gates are opening into our garden, but we always keep it locked and never planned to go out, although there are lots of trading companies and many people on the estate always. Now the manager of the industrial estate wrote us a letter that we gained unauthorised access and gives us 7 days to remove the gates :( I am very upset. What can I do about it? He also said that there were people and children coming out of our gates ,but that is not true.

Do you often do pointless things without knowing why?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Remove the gates and continue with the fence. It was a ridiculous idea in the first place.
    Pants
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    its their land and you don't have authority to access it , I'm sure you would be annoyed if they did it the opposite way and accessed your garden
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You say for "some reason" but what is the reason? It is a reasonable presumption that if you have a gate then at some point you will use it and go on to the estate. 7 days to remove it is a bit severe but I am sure if you showed willing and said it would be done in a month that would be the end of it.
    I worked in a school with extensive grounds. A neighbour had a back gate in their fence so they could picnic/sunbathe on the playing field in holidays. They were very cross when told they had to remove it but they were using it to trespass.

I don't agree with the title of this thread. They are not being bad neighbours. You are.
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    well, I suppose the reason behind was in case one day we will need to get a big piece of furniture in the house. The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted for public
  • amalis
    I would of course never ever think of gates going to private house, but as I said its an industrial estate which is not restricted to public during working hours.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted

But for the estate's use and convenience not yours.
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    well, I suppose the reason behind was in case one day we will need to get a big piece of furniture in the house. The access to industrial estate during working hours is not restricted for public

I think you'll find it is.
  • amalis
    No, there are lots of shops ,warehouses selling things and they have customers in and out
  • Write back and tell them the gates are purely ornamental blah blah blah and do not open and then, if you really want to, put a couple of screws in it to make sure it can't be opened.

Or at least that's what I would do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport