Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• davemorton wrote: »
    I dont know how much of a building site, your building site is, but if it is every room, could you make loads of effort over the next few weekends to get just one room done, so that at least you have an oasis from all the building work, where you can both relax?

I agree whole-heartedly with this, in the past when I've done houses, I always made a cosy nook with two armchairs, phone and TV and a low light, just to have a 'retreat' area in which to eat and relax. Makes all the difference, even if it's just a corner of a room.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Arthien wrote: »
    We get some weekends free, but a lot of them have been busy recently, seeing family and doing boring-but-necessary things like mortgage meetings. Even then, hubby spends every free minute trying to work on his project as he really wants to run his own business next year. And he also really wants to do up the house himself, he'd feel really disappointed if I/we paid someone, but it might have to happen at this rate.

This job was supposed to be 6 months to build my skills and move onwards, but I'm not sure whether that'll be enough for a new employer, not to mention whether I can stand another 4 months there :eek:
    I think it doesn't help that I used to be home by 4.50 as I started at 8, whereas now I'm driving further and not getting home til 6.30 fairly often, it feels so much later even though it's not really.

At least on the weekends you are not working. OH has his goal, which is fab. I have to admit with my OH, my motto is 'don't have any expectations, then he cannot disappoint me!' so you may have to suck up the building plot and the work until he is on his feet a little and then it will be time to sort the house and make the decisions about your job (unless a better one comes along... then go for it girl!) x
  • Market research?

That is a good point, we always moved DS2... why the heck he couldn't get himself organised and moved I have no idea.

Where are they moving to?

Up to Yorkshire!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    SSM you are very wise.

Must go to bed now as another early start.

TS hope we can chat again tomorrow. I feel we have a lot in common.

Hope snaps Dad ok. Bubbs I hope the man gets a solution xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    Can you purchase a year?

I know people who have done washing/ironing and made a fortune... one person ended up having 6 people working part-time in their garage whilst the person just collected/dropped off the items/marketed/accounts etc.

TS have you thought about something like this?

Why don't you make some enquiries, the rules change all the time so it maybe beneficial for you x

I totally agree about not being paid for family, when we took our plus 2 children in, we never took a penny for them as they were ours and we were lucky to have them x

I have no idea whether you can purchase a year guess I should look into it. I need to get one of those statements as have only worked out qualifying years myself, they might have other ideas of how much I am short. :eek:

I could do washing and bit of cleaning but any more ironing than I already do, not sure how my hands would hold out because of the osteoarthritis. :o
  • Sunshinemummy
    cjj wrote: »
    What was the job Tiny ? Do you feel you would enjoy doing it xx

Good points well made cjj x
    Arthien wrote: »
    Yes it's every room. The spare room is probably the closest to being done, but there's always an issue. We nearly finished the downstairs loo (start small! :o) and then the ceiling paint peeled off as DH removed the masking tape from the newly painted walls...

I'm hoping the prospect of having parents to stay for Christmas will be enough to spur him/us into getting at least a couple of rooms finished. My mum will definitely have a hairy fit if she has to use the downstairs loo in the night :rotfl:

Good things come to those who wait.... it will be worth it when it is done x
    bubbs wrote: »
    He has been assessed but not correctly and they did sort it out but not enough , he falls at least once week and really not safe on his own
    Dont really know why im worried as nothing to do with me bu they became friends and dont want to se him come to harm

It is because you are a lovely person who cares.
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SSM you are very wise.

me too. Night night, its nice to be back...I did some glitchy shopping today too.
  • Sunshinemummy
    Tinyshoes wrote: »
    I have no idea whether you can purchase a year guess I should look into it. I need to get one of those statements as have only worked out qualifying years myself, they might have other ideas of how much I am short. :eek:

I could do washing and bit of cleaning but any more ironing than I already do, not sure how my hands would hold out because of the osteoarthritis. :o

Are you entitled to benefits that you are not claiming? It may take some of the pressure off you if you could increase your income x
  • Sunshinemummy
    Up to Yorkshire!

I know that... and in with OH's parents.

But Yorkshire is huge, which area?
    SSM you are very wise.

Thanks, not often called that. Sleep tight x
  • Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes Posts: 29,014 Forumite
    marrbett wrote: »
    What about some voluntary work in a charity shop, to 'find your feet' for a bit??

Yes I have been thinking about offering my services for free to get myself back out there.

See having tiny feet they are difficult to find....:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport