At the supermarket... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Comments

• I think your best bet is to go to your local store, or the one you want to work for. Ask at their customer service desk for an application. When you get in for interview then you an ask about your preferred work patterns ad remember that even if they offer you the job, if it isn't what you want then you don't have to take it.
  • Smamfer
    Smamfer Posts: 2,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can i add also all supermarkets have their own websites and normally have a situations vacant area on their page covering all stores so may be worth a look
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • As far as I know all of Sainsburys store recruitment is done online now, so here's the link to the page from their site.

If you're not sure on the role leave it blank and it will show all vacancies in the store you've searched for.

https://access.sainsburys.co.uk/OA_HTML/OA.jsp?_rc=IRC_VIS_JOB_SEARCH_PAGE&_ri=800&SeededSearchFlag=N&Contractor=Y&Employee=Y&OASF=IRC_VIS_JOB_SEARCH_PAGE&_ti=1205019794&retainAM=Y&addBreadCrumb=N&oapc=12&oas=rgOJuH0kYnfYBFRlYdlc9g..
  • Not all stores use on line recruitment - some use the job centre - but either way it's always a good idea to go in and ask, especially one of the personnell/management team - it can go a long way if you get an interview and they remember how keen you were.

In terms of supermarkets own websites, the advertised jobs are predominantly supervisory / management roles, unless it is a new store opening where mass recruitment is on the go.

Often being able to work weekends / evenings (as well as being available most days & at short notice) is an advantage - most of the full time staff prefer to work mon - fri & get weekends off, which can be a rare treat in retail.
  • Hi

I was very interested to reaqd about working at supermarkets at weekends

Where I used to live I had six jobs - yes really:

Main job in IT : 12-8
    Cleaning jobs x 2 : 8-11 tuesday and wednesday
    Shop : sat 7-1 and sunday 8-6
    Farm: every day 4 am to 7 am and 9 pm to 10 pm
    Petrol station : flexible hours between 7 am and 11 pm

and I had a young family

I also did babysitting

Having moved to Scotland three years ago I am finding it impossible to find a second job let alone a sixth!

I worked for a few months cleaning holiday cottages but that was seasonal

There seems to be no private cleaning

I have applied to every supermarket, shop and petrol station within 30 miles without success as well as factories such as Walkers and Baxters

I can find no adverts for babysitters

I have an excellent CV and references and loads of experience

My income is less than half of what it was and I am becoming further and further in debt

What am I doing wrong??

I would love some advice/suggestions :confused:
  • I work for The Cooperative Group and I certainly do not get paid extra for working at the weekend, nor during the evening and do not get extra for working bank holidays
  • i have applied online quite a few times for job's in supermarkets can't even get an interveiw i think they look at my age ( 60 ) but i tell you i am a hard worker and not a slacker
  • I have just recently been made redundant and am considering apply to work in a supermarket. I have no experience of working in a supermarket as I have had mostly office jobs, would this stop me from getting a job in a supermarket?

Which supermarket is best to work for?
  • does any1 know how to get a job in a supermarket likeTESCO or ASDA, i never worked in a supermarket, the only place ive worked for is INDIAn Restaurant,im a uni student and would like to get a parttime supermarket job
  • I worked at ASDA and Sainsburys (part time then full time) so can give advice if anyone needs anything.

ASDA nightshift is hard work, not that anyone is scared of it, but it's really hard going,

I am interested in night shift at ASDA. Can you tell me in what way it is hard going? Do you mean "physically" hard going because you are kept busy? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure