Amsterdam

Hi All,

4 of us (Lads) are going to Amsterdam in Feb and was wondering what people recommend to see and do. we are going for 2 nights so any suggestions of where to visit/eat are most appreciated. We Looked at the Ice Bar but this seems to be closed for renevation.

Thanks all in advance

Comments

• Loads of restaurants, bars, clubs etc in Leidseplein area
    travelover
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd bet that 4 lads won't venture too far from red light district.
  • Heineken museum is great. So much to do in Amsterdam you'll easily fill your days. Depends what sort of thing you're interested in in terms of advice on what to do, but lots of lovely bars and restaurants so just wandering is also great.
  • Try the pancake bakery if you can. Amazing!
  • davebefc wrote: »
    Hi All,

4 of us (Lads) are going to Amsterdam in Feb and was wondering what people recommend to see and do. we are going for 2 nights so any suggestions of where to visit/eat are most appreciated. We Looked at the Ice Bar but this seems to be closed for renevation.

Thanks all in advance

If you really have to ask you are not old enough to go :D
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are plenty of great high-quality cafes round the edges of the (increasingly gentrified) Red Light District.

The Red Light District itself is really nice. Beautiful architecture, canals, bars, cafes, etc. At night, it's a bustling hive of activity. There are a few streets with glass doors and red lights, but the numbers have reduced in recent years. And a couple of "sex shows", but it's not something that should put you off seeing the area. I have no interests in hookers or sex shows, but I love the area... especially during the day.

And the Ledseplein is another good area to visit. It's vaguely equivalent to Leicester Square. Bars and restaurants ON the square will be very expensive, but it's more of a shopping district, there are sometimes street performers, and if you head down the side-streets Korte Leidesedwarsstraat or Longe Leidesedwarsstraat, you'll find cheap decent quality restaurants.

Clubbing is a bit different in Amsterdam. Any club you can easily see from the outside will be an overpriced tourist trap with horrible cheesy music. You need to ask around to find decent places to go.

Friday and Saturday nights are too busy with drunk/stoned stag parties for me -- I much prefer to visit mid-week. Amsterdam is a busy city, so there's plenty going on every day.

This previous thread might give you some more ideas:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5350671
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family