PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi guys can I join in with this? not sure if this is the right place to post? aiming to stick to £180 food budget for October 3 of us :eek:
    V 12500 B 8300 N 1900 Oct £51/£155
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 September 2017 at 11:43AM
    Right, given my reduced budget going forwards, I need to start meal planning on a weekly basis.

I'm sat in an event today and have some time free before I'm needed, so I thought this would be a good time to maybe plan for the first week of October just using what's already in the house.

Yogurt and frozen fruit for breakfast (maybe overnight oats)

Lunches
    Eggs (omelette) with cheese and frozen veg x 2
    Baked potato with beans and cottage cheese x 2
    One 'free' lunch at work
    'Eat up' at the weekend

Dinner
    'Pasta' something - possibly tuna or mackerel or cheesy veg x 2
    Chicken curry and rice x 2
    Roast chicken dinner x 2
    One flexi day - to see what I fancy.

I'm planing on using this week to let me think about what I'll need to buy for the rest of the month and I think I'm not going to declare a target this month - just as little as possible :cool:
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • dizzytina wrote: »
    Hi guys can I join in with this? not sure if this is the right place to post? aiming to stick to £180 food budget for October 3 of us :eek:

You are in the right place. Coxy11 will be along in a while to add you to the list of people with targets.

If it's your first time on here it is well worth reading the first two posts and then thank as you read, so you know where you are up to - it often moves quite fast in the winter as more people are indoors, and seem to have a bit more time to think about money and tracking it, and posting. If you want advice there are lots of helpful people here. If you just want to use this to track, that's fine too.

Welcome and good luck!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Our October doesn't start until the 1st and goes till the 31st.
    Two adults food and drink only; no alcohol, toiletries, cleaning products or chinchilla items included.
    Budget £155.

Although October hasn't started our bulk spend for October is at £67.57 already. This makes it glaringly obvious why our freezers are so full even through we are trying to run them down. I'm sure a good percentage went into the freezers. Need to keep a closer eye on that. We need to get a new fridge freezer and it will be easier if the freezer attached to the fridge has been eaten through before we get The new one.

£67.57/£155.
    £87.43 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • increase to £150 please; cutting back quite as far as I have been = not enough fresh fruit for me!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 23 September 2017 at 11:00AM
    Count me in please! £300 for October....I have totally lost track so will just have to start from here!! October is my being strict and getting properly back on the financial wagon so I really need this! ;)
  • HI can i join in pay day is 21st of month so shopping day for big shopp is usually started after payday. Only 2 of us but regular visits from children partners/ grandchildren and occasional meal cooked for my mum who who is 89 and lives alone so could easy be Sunday lunch for 9 some weeks. Hopping to say under £200 but just guessing for first month.
  • Thanks for setting up the new thread.

Can you please put me down for £140.
    This is starting tomorrow.

Everyone have good rest of Sunday.
    SIL x
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 September 2017 at 2:09PM
    I will go for £200 please going away first 2 weeks Nov so just a using up month in Oct.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can I join in the challenge this month please?

My target is £100/week or £500 for 29th September to 2nd November to include all food, dog food, toiletries, cleaning, laundry and what not. Oh and booze.

DH and I are both doing slimming world at the moment but what we save on crisps and rubbish should cover the cost of some of the healthy extras.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills