Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Comments

• richy4
    richy4 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Applied for this account over 3 weeks ago.

How close am I to being able to do anything at all with it based on the following?

-Have finally 'passed' Digidocs and been told I will receive account info shortly
    -Does account info have the bank account number and sort code necessary for transfers?
    -Have received my customer number by email, but no activation code
    -No sign of any physical pieces like card or card reader...

Tempted to give up but seems to have been some movement in last few days so giving it a little longer...
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,262
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    miller wrote: »
    This shouldn't really be allowed. With the absence of dated postmarks on a lot of mail some companies are taking advantage. IMO it should be sent within, say, a week of the date being applied.

This especially applies to time sensitive stuff where a few days are stolen because of the implication that the post/mail provider is tardy or stuff is dated only month+year.

One case I had with the FOS they took the company's word that they had posted something (a maturity form for a fixed rate bond) which didn't arrive; strange how there was no problem with other post arriving.

...it's one of my pet hates this practice and it seems to be tolerated... rant over.

I raised a complaint with Ulster, their letter said; "according to our records, a card and PIN were despatched to the above address. I'm afraid we rely on the Royal Mail postal service to deliver your post, and as we can see that that the card and PIN were despatched, we suggest you contact Royal Mail to launch an investigation as to why you are not receiving all of you post".

This reply annoyed for one reason only, the fact that they said I was not receiving ALL of my post, when in fact it was only their card that was missing. Probability would suggest it's Ulster's error, not Royal Mail's, given the number of people who are having similar issues.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,626
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    NatWest (same rabble) once blamed the Christmas post for something which appeared to arrive a fortnight after they dated it.

Agreed, given what has been reported on this thread, I'd say on the balance of probabilities the card has not been dispatched and certainly wouldn't bother pointing the finger of blame at the poor old postie!
  • richy4 wrote: »
    Applied for this account over 3 weeks ago.

How close am I to being able to do anything at all with it based on the following?

-Have finally 'passed' Digidocs and been told I will receive account info shortly
    -Does account info have the bank account number and sort code necessary for transfers?
    -Have received my customer number by email, but no activation code
    -No sign of any physical pieces like card or card reader...

Tempted to give up but seems to have been some movement in last few days so giving it a little longer...

If you've got your Customer Number then you should be able to log in to their internet banking where your account details will be listed. Once there click on 'Security' on the left hand side and then 'order a card reader.' This automatically orders you a card and pin number as well as the reader.

How long these take to arrive is anybody's guess but until they do you won't be able to get at your money apart from £250 a day through their mobile app so think carefully before making any deposit.

The fact that the card, reader and PIN are not automatically issued when you open an account is crazy and their tardy delivery is very poor but once up and running the account has its plus points. The ability to set up multiple payees and faster payments make it more like a current account with a relatively decent interest rate. I'm using mine as a drip feeder for Regular Savers and it's working well.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    I opened one of these and entered my passport number and debit card, but now I see they want a passport scan as well.

With all the reports of hassle with the card reader etc., I can't be bothered to continue with this. Am I ok just to leave it and ignore any further communication from them?
  • Zerog
    You will see that many of us have opted out of actually opening the account, once realising it could take upwards of 3 weeks!

This is what annoys me - you give them many personal details, all your card details, including 3 digit SVV, and all your passport details, only then to find out you cannot open the account quickly.

Ask them to confirm, in writing, that they have destroyed all your details from their computer system, just in case they get hacked in the future!
  • TiVo_Lad
    TiVo_Lad Posts: 465
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Based on all the bad feedback, I'm a bit surprised MSE haven't picked this up and started asking Ulster Bank some difficult questions. It truly is terrible service. My PIN letter dated 26/07/17 talked about a card sent "recently" but there's no card here....
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,429
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    TiVo_Lad wrote: »
    Based on all the bad feedback, I'm a bit surprised MSE haven't picked this up and started asking Ulster Bank some difficult questions. It truly is terrible service. My PIN letter dated 26/07/17 talked about a card sent "recently" but there's no card here....
    See the 'How this site works' section at the foot of this page and in particular:
    This info does not constitute financial advice, always do your own research on top to ensure it's right for your specific circumstances and remember we focus on rates not service.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,134
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Disgruntled Ulster Bank customers might look at Ford Flexible Saver. Rate increased from 1.07% to 1.12% today:)
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    badger09 wrote: »
    Disgruntled Ulster Bank customers might look at Ford Flexible Saver. Rate increased from 1.07% to 1.12% today:)

Oh 'eck don't let them near Ford - remember how their RS panned out?!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback