The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,681
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 1:59PM
    Pension

Do I have a claim? I enlisted in the Army May 75, 3 months before my 18th birthday (7/8/75) and served until 6/8/81 the day before my 24th birthday. As I'm approaching 60 this year thought I'd best look into this. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service.
    On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped
    and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.
    You served more than 5 years adult service leaving after the March 1978 changes so according to the AFPS timeline you are be due a pension.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600
  • Thanks for your reply will contact Veterans UK and take it from there... Nothing ventured.. Nothing gained..

Thanks again
  • LOL. I joined JLR in 1977 and left the Army after a PVR due to being accused of several things I didn't do including arson! I was told the whole way through you had to serve 12 years to get any pension. However last year I looked at this in depth and discovered I had been misinformed. However in a somewhat ironic turn of events I was 6 months short of receiving anything. When I questioned the junior service I was told that it was counted as "further education" and did not count towards the pension.

Certainly worth asking though as it appears many of us had been misinformed. The people in Glasgow very helpful I must say.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,969
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I was told the whole way through you had to serve 12 years to get any pension
    Never heard that one before - although 12 years is the minimum for the one-off resettlement grant. However, I've come across more than one ex service bod who thought that their 12 year grant was in lieu of a pension!

Under AFPS75 only service from age 18 counts as pensionable service.
  • 'The 1973 Act brought about changes by requiring all pension schemes to preserve pension rights for those who left service after 6 April 1975 and had completed at least five years' qualifying service and attained the age of 26. Subsequent Social Security Acts reduced the qualifying period from five years to two years and removed the age qualification requirement. The armed forces pension scheme incorporated those changes from the operative date of 6 April 1975.' Adam Ingram Minister of State (Armed Forces), Ministry of Defence 2007. Came across this parliamentary debate whilst looking for further information. It would appear the changes are retrospective to 6 April 1975. Hope this helps.
  • Thanks very much for creating this thread. I was always told during my service that I didn't qualify for a forces pension. I came across this thread last night which indicated that I did qualify so I contacted Veterans UK today and they confirmed that I am entitled. I guess it won't be much but every little helps :) So, thanks again!
  • Silvertabby
    Forumite
    edited 19 October 2017 at 5:28PM
    Thanks very much for creating this thread. I was always told during my service that I didn't qualify for a forces pension. I came across this thread last night which indicated that I did qualify so I contacted Veterans UK today and they confirmed that I am entitled. I guess it won't be much but every little helps :) So, thanks again! Posted by Tedlooney
    Well done Ted ! Sadly, there are a lot of ex forces (and their widows) out there who have missed out on a pension because they believed the 'barrack room lawyers'.

I've personally come across 2 x ex Forces bods who whined that 'it's ok for you - you did your 22'. On further investigation, it turned out that both had done 12 years and mistakenly thought that the lump sum (resettlement grant) they received on leaving was in lieu of all pension rights. It wasn't - they still had 12 years worth of preserved pension benefits to claim.

Please let us know how you get on - it's nice to have some goods news for a change!
    Save
    Save
    Save
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Never heard that one before - although 12 years is the minimum for the one-off resettlement grant. However, I've come across more than one ex service bod who thought that their 12 year grant was in lieu of a pension!

Under AFPS75 only service from age 18 counts as pensionable service.

I thought that but when they calculated mine it was from 17. I was RAF and on LOS30 so service was counted as 30 years from 18, with my retirement the day before my 48th birthday. However my pension was calculated as 31 years. I joined at 16 3/4.
  • Silvertabby
    Forumite
    I thought that but when they calculated mine it was from 17. I was RAF and on LOS30 so service was counted as 30 years from 18, with my retirement the day before my 48th birthday. However my pension was calculated as 31 years. I joined at 16 3/4. Posted by unforeseen

Did you retire under AFPS05? That counts pre age 18 service.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,271
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    APFS75

Served 74 - 05
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts