stop a payment to a company coming out of bank account?

Comments

• mclaren32
    mclaren32 Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    BFem wrote: »
    We've just called the bank again and because we paid online using the long card number rather than the sort code and account number, theyve said the payment won't go out, other than the fact that the payment isn't showing as pending etc. So hopefully will be ok. Thanks for your help and advice, really appreciated.

If the company involved have processed the payment already then it will go through. The bank wont cancel an authorised transaction on the customers request - imagine if you bought a car using you debit card, drove off in it and rang the bank to cancel the transaction....
  • iereboy
    iereboy Posts: 415 Forumite
    Bfem, have they cancelled the card though?

If the transaction is pending, it will go through - however, if it is not, it will be harder to go thro if the card is cancelled.
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you paid for non-personalised or non-customised goods online you are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations. So you can cancel them with the retailer as well as with your bank.

If you do receive them send them back the retailer the same or next day using a method to prove they would have highly likely received them back within 7 days of them being shipped to you. You aren't suppose to pay for postage but if you are being ripped off I would try and send them recorded delivery if they are going to an address or proof of posting if they are going to a PO Box.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978 Forumite
    Basically we've realised we've been ripped off but payment hasn't come out yet, so want to see if we can stop it being taken.

How about elaborating as to how you think you've been ripped off ? When did you order the goods ? Have you actually received the goods yet ? If not, what reason do you have to suspect you won't get them or the product isn't what you thought ?

Curious !
  • the banks and card issuers can and do cancel transactions that they have initially authorised, it is fairly rare but it does happen. I have seen it many times at the retailer end.
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• BFem
    BFem Posts: 142 Forumite
    exel1966 wrote: »
    How about elaborating as to how you think you've been ripped off ? When did you order the goods ? Have you actually received the goods yet ? If not, what reason do you have to suspect you won't get them or the product isn't what you thought ?

Curious !

No, we haven't received the goods, nor has the money been taken out, or even begun to (which is strange in itself as OH put order through last week!).

After not getting any email confirmation of order or correspondence and seeing that the money hadn't come out we searched the company name online, read reviews and read other peoples experiences of them and basically have come to the conclusion that they are definitely not legitimate. My OH made a payment to them on impulse without doing any of this first, of course, :exclamati

Thanks for your interest, hope that answers you Qs :o
    'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

:j
  • exel1966
    No, we haven't received the goods, nor has the money been taken out, or even begun to (which is strange in itself as OH put order through last week!).

After not getting any email confirmation of order or correspondence and seeing that the money hadn't come out we searched the company name online, read reviews and read other peoples experiences of them and basically have come to the conclusion that they are definitely not legitimate. My OH made a payment to them on impulse without doing any of this first, of course, :exclamati

Thanks for your interest, hope that answers you Qs :o

So to warn other prospective buyers the name of the company is ?
  • BFem
    So to warn other prospective buyers the name of the company is ?

Yes of course - but once I know they're not going to take the money from our account! I know they are quite present online and forums so I don't want the same thing happening to me as it has to other people - some people are still having problems with them after revealing their name, which I don't mind at all if it stops other people from using them, but once I know my money is safe. Surely everyone would feel the same!
    'It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection' Elizabeth Gilbert.

• exel1966
    I didn't think you be revealing who it was ! Makes it all rather suspicious doesn't it !

You have passed your card details to a company. They have 6 years in which to take that payment. I think people would rather know before then.

How could they possibly tie up a purchase to an anonymous forum ? Impossible !
  • BFem
    I didn't think you be revealing who it was ! Makes it all rather suspicious doesn't it !

You have passed your card details to a company. They have 6 years in which to take that payment. I think people would rather know before then.

How could they possibly tie up a purchase to an anonymous forum ? Impossible !

Do you mean me and my concern are suspicious?? I'm the only one being suspicious, of the company!! Never can be too careful. I feel like you're bullying the answer to your question out of me lol. These days I am just so careful. I don't know any suspicious reason as to why I wouldn't share the name of the company, unless for the reason I have already mentioned (through worry). Sorry if it seems suspicious to you but it's not, I couldnt be if I tried - I just don't think in that way - what you read is what you get with me. Should I maybe delete the thread to stop causing people concern and thinking I am a fraudster or something?! Wish I never asked, eek! I have a bit of dyslexia and dsycalculia so all this bank and transaction stuff is quite beyond me, thats the only reason I asked for peoples advise.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport