PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• Thanks Unixgirluk. Totally agree with Home Bargains, I could spend ages in there, fab shop. Aldi good but none near me unfortunately. Good tip about the box sets, I must try it as I want to get started on Christmas. Have been looking at homemade presents - chocolate bark, hot choc sachets look good, choc truffles. Just need to try and be inventive I guess!
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Unixgirluk. Totally agree with Home Bargains, I could spend ages in there, fab shop. Aldi good but none near me unfortunately. Good tip about the box sets, I must try it as I want to get started on Christmas. Have been looking at homemade presents - chocolate bark, hot choc sachets look good, choc truffles. Just need to try and be inventive I guess!

Chocolate bark sounds good.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    I also use cloth napkins.I hate the idea of wasting paper on napkins.

Me too, I even made a load myself out of cheap fabric, cost me £3 for 12 huge napkins :money:. although not sure the extra time ironing them makes it worth it :p
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    Me too, I even made a load myself out of cheap fabric, cost me £3 for 12 huge napkins :money:. although not sure the extra time ironing them makes it worth it :p

I use large face flannels, no ironing required.. all white and easy to bleach.
    I keep cheap paper ones for guests tho... don't want them to think I'm a slob.
  • nuttybabe wrote: »

I can't use an unironed napkin.:eek::o;)
  • Eenymeeny
    Eenymeeny Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    bluebag wrote: »
    I use large face flannels, no ironing required.. all white and easy to bleach.
    I keep cheap paper ones for guests tho... don't want them to think I'm a slob.
    Good idea. I've been known to use old tea towels for certain 'sloppy eaters' when spag bol is on the menu. I don't worry about the stains as they are to protect the good clothes underneath! Being bigger than napkins they offer more protection. You could buy cheap matching tea towels and boil wash if you feel they need it :)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sparrer wrote: »
    thanks airgead, makes much more sense than saving odds and ends for months then throwing them away because I can't be bothered to store the bits any more. A mobile phone case or even a no-longer-needed baby's cotton mitt or bootee would do the job :)

This is an old favourite from guide camp!!! ( except they just had a bar of soap in it - hanged from the makeshift wash basin!!:j
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lilrahi wrote: »
    I love this idea for scarves: http://pinterest.com/pin/189643834279367494/

I have so many scarves, pashminas they are taking over my wardrobe. This is a really good idea

I do something very similar to this - I use a hanger designed for trousers - can easily get 3/4 scarfs on it

Snowy
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • Eenymeeny wrote: »
    Good idea. I've been known to use old tea towels for certain 'sloppy eaters' when spag bol is on the menu. I don't worry about the stains as they are to protect the good clothes underneath! Being bigger than napkins they offer more protection. You could buy cheap matching tea towels and boil wash if you feel they need it :)

I often have an old tea towel on my lap if eating something messy.
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If I'm peeling veg (i.e. potatoes, carrots, etc) I save the peelings (I also save the stalks from broccoli) and freeze them. When I have enough I use these to make soup. I also chuck in whatever else I have to vary it i.e. lentils, split peas, rice, pasta. Makes a great and filling soup.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback