Bt consumer default

Back in 2012 when I moved to my new house I ordered bt internet and tv after I ordered it was brought to my attention that living at the side of a big hill men I got my tv signal from s booster transmitter, this ment I wouldn't be able to make full use of the bt service. I rang bt explained and cancelled the order no problem as nothing had been installed yet.

This is where the fun starts! 6 months later I received a bill for a bt internet security service I phoned bt explained no problem we will sort it!
Few months later I get a letter from a debt collection company saying I owe bt money for internet security service. I call them and bt explained again was told not to worry. 2 months later letter from a different debt collection agency so I ring again they both day they will sort it, I never heard from either again.

Fast forward 3.5 years and I signed up for ClearScore to look at my credit rating as new baby on the way and thinking of moving house. To my horror I have a default on my credit from you guessed it BT😡😡😡

I have been quite luck I have managed to be totally debt free own 2 houses outright no loans or credit cards.

Now have a very poor credit rating and looking at mortgages I would have to take a higher interest one to move. I have called bt several times they agree I owe them no money and the default shouldn't be there!
They said they woutake care of the default but never have. I have called them several times in the last 6 month but can't get any where with them.

What can I do??

Thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• ukamber1
    ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Tosh103 wrote: »
    Back in 2012 when I moved to my new house I ordered bt internet and tv after I ordered it was brought to my attention that living at the side of a big hill men I got my tv signal from s booster transmitter, this ment I wouldn't be able to make full use of the bt service. I rang bt explained and cancelled the order no problem as nothing had been installed yet.

This is where the fun starts! 6 months later I received a bill for a bt internet security service I phoned bt explained no problem we will sort it!
    Few months later I get a letter from a debt collection company saying I owe bt money for internet security service. I call them and bt explained again was told not to worry. 2 months later letter from a different debt collection agency so I ring again they both day they will sort it, I never heard from either again.

Fast forward 3.5 years and I signed up for ClearScore to look at my credit rating as new baby on the way and thinking of moving house. To my horror I have a default on my credit from you guessed it BT😡😡😡

I have been quite luck I have managed to be totally debt free own 2 houses outright no loans or credit cards.

Now have a very poor credit rating and looking at mortgages I would have to take a higher interest one to move. I have called bt several times they agree I owe them no money and the default shouldn't be there!
    They said they woutake care of the default but never have. I have called them several times in the last 6 month but can't get any where with them.

What can I do??

Thanks for any advice in advance

I'm no expert but I'm sure if you send a letter of complaint saying you will take this to the Financial Ombudsman if the default is not removed, something might get done about it. Customers normally get a letter confirming service has been cancelled . It might also help if you still had that letter, showing agreement had been cancelled....Hopefully someone will jump on thread soon, to confirm best option to take...

Best of luck..
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:08AM
    Hi

I agree with ukamber. You need to put this in writing and use BT’s complaints process. Threaten to escalate your complaint to the Communication Ombudsman if the default isn’t removed asap.

www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

As an alternative I've heard good things about people using the Resolver tool to manage the complaint process:

www.resolver.co.uk/companies/bt-complaints

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • I would go stright to the ombudsman; you have effectively 'complained' several times already.
  • I have spoke to BT who agree that the balance on the account is zero!
    I cancelled within hours of ordering so never received any account numbers or even a phone number.
    Will try one more time today.
    Thing is I alway end up talking to a foreign call centre who hardly understands a bloody word I say!!
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tosh103 wrote: »
    I have spoke to BT who agree that the balance on the account is zero!
    I cancelled within hours of ordering so never received any account numbers or even a phone number.
    Will try one more time today.
    Thing is I alway end up talking to a foreign call centre who hardly understands a bloody word I say!!

That’s why writing to them might be more effective (and less frustrating) at this point. You could just try the ombudsman now though as Weisenwolf suggests.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure