potato peelings to clean chimney???

Options
2»

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My granddad used to have a couple of 'controlled' chimney fires every year to keep the chimney clean. I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I've never tried potato peelings either.

A friend of mine uses his discarded Christmas tree to sweep his chimney though.

Judging by the amount of cr@p it brings down it must be quite effective.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This page suggests that you can use them:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Everyone with an airtight stove should have their own chimney cleaning brush and rod, and then plan on inducing a controlled chimney flue fire once a month. The use of dried potato peels or newspaper -- but absolutely no wood![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But, most other sites I've googled say it's an old wives' tale supposedly the potato reduces build up of creosote, but that this doesn't work.[/FONT]
    My granddad used to have a couple of 'controlled' chimney fires every year to keep the chimney clean. I've never been brave enough to try it myself. I've never tried potato peelings either.

A friend of mine uses his discarded Christmas tree to sweep his chimney though.

Judging by the amount of cr@p it brings down it must be quite effective.

Controlled burning ? what ? I cant believe people are sooooo STUPID as to set their own chimneys on fire.

I have been a chimney sweep for best part of 5 years now and havent heard of the potato thing thats a new one for me, I cannot see why that would clean a chimney at all.

As for setting fire to your chimney that is damn right dangerous, not only do you risk damage to the chimney or liner you are also endanering your life and property and those around you.

There are cleaning products available such as chimney logs or chimney devils which if burn regularly can help keep your chimney clean but nothing compares to getting it swept at least once a year.

One old wives tale is that if you do get a chimney fire pour salt or sugar on it to put it out, DO NEITHER. Pouring salt on a fire will create Chlorine gas which is extremely dangerous and can kill, sugar will give the fire more fuel and will probably make it worse. Best thing to do for a chimney fire is pour water on it to create steam and then call the fire brigade, and again contrary to myths they dont charge for chimney fires.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    I orginally posted on old style money saving! I didnt expect to not have to sweep chimney, i was looking for a use for alot of waste! We reuse alot of stuff, so to hear it would help keep chimney clean was why i asked!
    I wont use them to help clean soot, nor will i compost them!
    but thanks!
    Jex
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cook the crisps up and make your own brand, sell them in the bar. Or, if they're not that great, cook them up and give them away on a quiet night to get people in.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had chickens when I was a child, all the potato peeling were boiled up mashed and mixed with 'layers mash' which we bought from the locals corn merchants, then fed to the chickens, warm in the winter and cold in the summer, they thrived on it.
  • puppypants
    puppypants Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Options
    We had chickens when I was a child, all the potato peeling were boiled up mashed and mixed with 'layers mash' which we bought from the locals corn merchants, then fed to the chickens, warm in the winter and cold in the summer, they thrived on it.

Boo, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest that!!:D
  • will-he-payitoff
    Options
    It does not clean the chimney, they used to do it to stop coal from burning too quickley to save money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure