close halifax account?

Options
Hi, I have a halifax current account which I have had since 2002. I opened a nationwide flexaccount in feb this year which is now my main bank account (I travel a bit and visit my friends and family in Ireland so fee-free withdrawals a big attraction)

Should I close the halifax one or keep it open for "emergencies"?

Just worried that as I am not paying into it at all they may try and charge me:rolleyes:

Comments

• woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Options
    I have had an Abbey current account for about 15 years or so but stopped using it over 10 years ago. There is only about £5 in the account but I have never been charged for it. I was sent a letter saying I would get no statements as the account was inactive. I have not been charged so far so I am keeping the account open just in case.
  • emma396
    emma396 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    you could close, but i'd probably just leave it open. is it just a standard halifax account? i know the high interest current account requires you to pay in 1k each month. if there are no requirements, i'd keep it open.
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was the high interest one-I haven't paid anything in since June 30th and it still states it is a high interest one, had 42p interest on a £100 balance last month-not sure if that tallys with the rate
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    If you don't pay in the minimum amount per month, it will lose its HI status and revert to a basic current account. There's no harm in keeping it open, they don't charge at the moment and will have to write to you if they introduce charges in the future.

Keeping the account, at least for a while, gives you an account that you can quote in applications that will show you've been with your bank for 6 years, rather than the 8 months with Nationwide. Longevity with your bank is worth something...
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • jackie129
    Options
    Hi, i have a halifax ultimate reward account, and i've got in trouble with it and they just adding charges and charges.. can i close this account and make an arrangement to pay what i owe in installments to stop the charges?
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    Options
    Most banks will not allow you to close the account until you have paid off the amount owing in full.

Your best bet is to talk to them, freeze the account and then just pay £x/month. You will still get added interest every month though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure