Water Meter and Landlord

I am currently in a flat which is unmetered. At the time of being shown round it by the agent, there was no mention made of water charges.

Sadly to my cost, I forgot to check this before moving in.

Is the agent/landlord obliged to reveal these things or is it up to the prospective tenant to ask?

Thanks.

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The latter I am afraid - Caveat emptor!

Provided your lease is 6 months or more, you can get a meter fitted without the permission of the landlord.
  • pioneer31
    pioneer31 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok, next question :)

Having been sent a massive bill (as I am unmetered) what can I do if a meter can't be fitted? (I am having an assessment next week but not too confident)

Can the charges be challenged, seeing that I am paying way in excess of a family of four (metered) who take baths!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 28 October 2014 at 6:24PM
    If a meter cannot be fitted - often happens in older flats(and yours is at least 24 years old) - you will be offered the choice of an assessed rate or remain on your present RV charges.

If you look up your water supplier's website you will see the fixed assessed rate charge - it is normally much cheaper than RV.

Charges cannot be challenged, they are RV based, metered or at an Assessed rate - the latter only offered if a meter cannot be fitted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure