Humming/vibrating noise from toilet area?

We’ve heard a low level humming noise almost like a pump for the last few days in, or around the house (we thought it was outside as you heard it most by 2 x side windows, both in toilets, 1 upstairs bathroom and the other the downstairs loo)

I flushed the downstairs loo this morning and the noise stopped, maybe coincidence though? Then 15 minutes later flushed the upstairs toilet and it’s started again??? Very strange!

Any ideas please people before we go mad? It’s a 1930’s semi with the older 2 water tanks in the loft set-up (if that helps at all)

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Google 'water hammer.' It may just be related to one valve on one toilet and might be solved by reducing the pressure of water going to it, or replacement of the valve.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    As above. Agree with Dave.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    If there is an inline on/off valve you could try just closing it very slightly.
    HTH
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2018 at 8:09PM
    Lift the cistern lid, flush the toilet, and immediately raise the ball valve by hand till it just meets the pin on the shut-off valve. If the noise stops it's water hammer. I solved mine by keeping the valve in that position with a piece of string looped over a wooden bridge on the lid. It doesn't stop the normal fill flow but it's not a permanent solution. Try turning the main stop valve down to the house a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure